Advice needed on Skytech Thermostat recently installed on Enviro Empress

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Enviroburner

Nov 21, 2010
Central MA
I recently added a wireless thermostat to my pellet stove. When setting the temp at 60 degrees for night, my stove seems to be shutting down.

The stove has 1-5 buttons and usually cannot be run below 3. I have the buttons set at 3 and new thermostat set at 60/62. Doesn't seem to work 'all the time' and tends to shutdown.

If anyone has a wireless thermostat, any advice would be greatly appreciated! Just trying to learn this new feature and get the most out of it!

Thank you

I assume that stove has on/off mode with the use of a thermostat and that is what you are experiencing. If your stat isn't calling for heat, your stove should be shutdown in this mode.

Can you verify that an on/off setting?

Sounds like when the stove goes into low fire (no call) that there is to little fuel or to much air. Causing the fire to extinguish.

What stove do you own?

I own the Enviro Empress. Last night, I set the thermostat at 9pm, at 63 degrees. At 6:30am, it was 62 on the thermostat which I was happy about. But I looked at my other thermostat that I have placed right near this one and it was registering at 66. That is the correct temp that I feel it was quite warmer than 62. A half hour later, suddenly the one that was at 62 jumped to 66! Crazy. By the time I got in this evening, the stove was out, pellets full. Temp was 57. So at some point the stove went out again.

Thank you all for your help so far!

What happens if you run on 1 ? Because that is what the controller is going to do when it goes to low fire.

The stove runs its best at 3, 4,or 5. At 1 or 2 it blows out, I can't run it very well at the lower. Played a lot with the air and all too. I'm usually happy at 3 without the thermostat and it runs perfectly!

The control in hi/low mode only relights upon power on.

The stoves damper needs to be set by mag at the high firing rate exactly by the book and then checked and adjusted if needed at the #1 rate. This allows the air/fuel mixture to track together. The #1 rate adjustment may need tweaking when the pellet batch or brand changes.

There is also a feed trim if needed.

Enviro- Hello, in hi/lo mode, stove runs on ordered heat setting when t-stat calls for heat, then idles on 1 when t-stat does not call for heat. In Auto on/off, if t-stat doesn't call for heat within 30 mins of running on 1 (after t-stat was satisfied), it goes into shutdown. Then auto re-starts when t-stat calls for heat again. A lot of stoves don't want to run on 1 because of pellet size (leads to unreliable feeding rates) or pellet quality, leads to low exhaust path temps, and shut downs. Air damper settings will amplify the errors. Good rule of thumb, air damper 1/2 in from all the way left and running good pellets. Okanagans, Hamers hot ones, vermont, Amer wood fibres etc etc. Empresses run fine on 1 if the pellet quality is good. Good luck. Manual mode is the answer for nuisance shutdowns.

Stovelark
Enviro EF3 FS pellet
Enviro Empress FPI AC pellet
Enviro 1700 Kodiak FS wood (now burning)

Status
Not open for further replies.