Advice on concrete/stone work for hearth

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fran35

Jan 10, 2011
PA
Hey folks,
I have 5 x 9 area behind my wood stove that I want to install some decorative stone/lick-em stick em rocks to. The wall is in the basement and is concrete block that has been painted. In order to work with the mortar and rocks, I realize I need either the pain off of the wall or hang metal lath with a scatch coat. I am wondering which way would be the easiest and most cost effective way. Also, what is the best way for me to remove enough of this paint to get the mortar to stick to it? It is in a finished basement, so pressure washing is out of the question. Thanks

Have you considered hanging wallboard as a "canvas" for your stone and mortar?

Thanks guys. Really wishing I had never threw pain on the block.....

DAKSY said:
firebroad said:

+1. Screw some durarock or Hardi backer to the
wall & have at it with your veneer.

+2 this is what I was thinking also. The paint might not be a bad thing, especially if it's a moisture blocker.

DAKSY said:
firebroad said:

+1. Screw some durarock or Hardi backer to the
wall & have at it with your veneer.

+ another.
I personally like HardiBacker better because it has neater edges and is lighter.

Should I glue or use adhesive between the block and board? or just concrete screws?

it would depend on the size and weight of the materials. Of course, a few generous beads of construction adhesive wouldn't hurt.

I would frame it out with 2X4's, cover it with duroc and go with that
reason being
you will be able to use corners (stone) so you will have the thickness
which will make it look like real stone, as opposed to stone glued to the wall flat

Status
Not open for further replies.