Advice on hearth paint and cutting cast iron

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ckarotka

Minister of Fire
Sep 21, 2009
Northwest PA on the lake
Well I finale sold my old smoke dragon insert I think. The guy came and saw, left a deposit and will return on Sunday to pick it up. With the money I need to purchase a new 6" liner so I can reinstall my small quad epa stove in the hearth. Should be a cut and dry install, plenty of room in the hearth, and easy access to the top of the chimney.

When I remove the insert the inner hearth is steal lined no fire brick then concrete on the bottom. I would like to paint this area for looks also to try to reflect some heat back into the room since there is no blower on the quad. Is there a paint to use that is still black and can reflect?

Also I will need to cut about 1" off the legs of the quad to clear the lintel. Can I cut cast with a sawsall with out problems? I'm sure I could find a friend with a masonry cut off saw to cut them if that's a better idea.

Thanks
Charlie

a metal cutting blade which is a fiberglass disc will mount on a circular saw, try HD. it wears out with usage but worx well for me. u might need 2 but theyre cheap...read the instructions, might have to spin for a minute to break it in before cutting

A hacksaw cuts cast iron just fine and is a lot more controllable than a Sawzall.

BrotherBart said:
A hacksaw cuts cast iron just fine and is a lot more controllable than a Sawzall.

Great, that I can do. Hopefully I can have this done in a few weeks (still need to order the liner, waiting for the final sale). I'm thinking of re-painting the quad since it's out. It's only four y/o but I would love to change the color to a dark red to stand out of the black inner hearth background and better match the brick work.

use a fine toothed hack saw blade like a 24 tooth pre inch or finer.

BrotherBart said:

True enough, brotherbart but hey, Winters a comin and the poor guy has to get it done not start an exercise program. Yecch, the last thing I use ever is a hack saw, especially for the accuracy reason and the way they wander about. First choice is definitely either a 7 1/4" cut off wheel on the circular saw followed by the saws all using a short blade and nice heavy chalk line you can see very well. Grinding wheel cut off disks work good but you burn them up too fast to be of much real use. That $4 cut off circular saw blade should do the trick in about 30 seconds or less and a couple licks with the grinder after will make a perfect edge. Hack saw is like dredging a channel in a river with a tea spoon..............................................

Driz said:
BrotherBart said:

True enough, brotherbart but hey, Winters a comin and the poor guy has to get it done not start an exercise program. Yecch, the last thing I use ever is a hack saw, especially for the accuracy reason and the way they wander about. First choice is definitely either a 7 1/4" cut off wheel on the circular saw followed by the saws all using a short blade and nice heavy chalk line you can see very well. Grinding wheel cut off disks work good but you burn them up too fast to be of much real use. That $4 cut off circular saw blade should do the trick in about 30 seconds or less and a couple licks with the grinder after will make a perfect edge. Hack saw is like dredging a channel in a river with a tea spoon..............................................

Hacksaw lessons are Monday, Wednesday and Friday at 2 PM. Lab materials not supplied. Cash, check or VISA accepted. :lol:

The things cut cast iron like it's warm butter. And you don't spit sparks for a week like with a wheel or need dental work later like with a Sawzall.

i'm a ex-carpenter/ sider/ roofer by trade so I feel confident with a sawzall. The beast I have is speed controlled 1-6. Milwaukee makes some of my favorite corded tools then Bosch. What I really want now is a cordless impact screwdriver. Since I don't do the work anymore except around my own house I don't buy many new tools anymore :mad: With the exception of wood cutting/splitting :)

If the Timberjack you are looking for is the peavey with a stand attached, save your money. Me and everybody I know that bought one ended up taking the stand off and making a standard peavey out of the thing because it just does not work.

BrotherBart said:
If the Timberjack you are looking for is the peavey with a stand attached, save your money. Me and everybody I know that bought one ended up taking the stand off and making a standard peavey out of the thing because it just does not work.

BB,

I had a chance to borrow one the other day and loved it. Granted the tree was only about 12-14" diameter but I really liked it. I'm interested in the one Zap just bought. Wanna sell yours?

ckarotka said:
BrotherBart said:

BB,

I had a chance to borrow one the other day and loved it. Granted the tree was only about 12-14" diameter but I really liked it. I'm interested in the one Zap just bought. Wanna sell yours?

Nah. Mine is twenty five years old and I still use it without the stand thing. Which I tossed in the scrap pile a long time ago.

Lenox Tools makes an 8" sawzall brazed diamond blade made for cutting cast. It has vey small abrasions to it, not teeth. I believe Lowe's carries Lenox. Blade model # 800rdg.

-Jon (Surgeon of the sawzall)

Great thanks, howabout paint brands? Any good or bad brands? I would like to brush it on to Eliminate fumes. The wifes got #4 in the oven right now.

ckarotka said:
BrotherBart said:

Great, that I can do. Hopefully I can have this done in a few weeks (still need to order the liner, waiting for the final sale). I'm thinking of re-painting the quad since it's out. It's only four y/o but I would love to change the color to a dark red to stand out of the black inner hearth background and better match the brick work.
Send us apicture I want to see a dark red stove like that sounds cool. (HOT)

ckarotka said:
i'm a ex-carpenter/ sider/ roofer by trade so I feel confident with a sawzall. The beast I have is speed controlled 1-6. Milwaukee makes some of my favorite corded tools then Bosch. What I really want now is a cordless impact screwdriver. Since I don't do the work anymore except around my own house I don't buy many new tools anymore :mad: With the exception of wood cutting/splitting :)

Seriously, if you don't have one of those 18volt drill drivers GET ONE SOON. You don't know what you are missing. If the Dewalt I have died today I would have another by the end of the month I use it so much. Drives those long 4 inch drywall screws as fast as you can place them. I rate this as one of the top 3 tools of all the stuff I have.
As for that plate and sparks, Hell, we aint got no stinkin sparks"with a sawsall. I won't even brake out the safety glasses to cut a piece of steel with a sawzall. Now put it acorss the 14" chop saw I have on the bench and you better have a full shield and a hat to keep the bald spot on the top of your head from catching fire. Now those are sparks lookin like a fireworks display. It makes a real nice square edge though as does the 7 1/4" disk on the skill saw.

Driz said:
ckarotka said:

Seriously, if you don't have one of those 18volt drill drivers GET ONE SOON. You don't know what you are missing. If the Dewalt I have died today I would have another by the end of the month I use it so much. Drives those long 4 inch drywall screws as fast as you can place them. I rate this as one of the top 3 tools of all the stuff I have.
As for that plate and sparks, Hell, we aint got no stinkin sparks"with a sawsall. I won't even brake out the safety glasses to cut a piece of steel with a sawzall. Now put it acorss the 14" chop saw I have on the bench and you better have a full shield and a hat to keep the bald spot on the top of your head from catching fire. Now those are sparks lookin like a fireworks display. It makes a real nice square edge though as does the 7 1/4" disk on the skill saw.

I've got a few cordless drills. Sometimes I like a good ol corded tool for power.

Status
Not open for further replies.