advice on propane tank install?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RIDGERUNNER30

Feb 7, 2009
Eastern, Kentucky
Hey,I recently made a post wanting advice on gas cooking ranges, well i finally purchased a gas stove at lowes. now I'am in the process of getting the gas company to hook me up and set a propane tank but the problem i'am have is they are asking four hundred bucks to set the tank and hook it to the stove and then buy the gas to fill it up. they said it cost about $ 2.50 a gallon, If my math is right it will cost close to a thousand bucks to set a two hundred and fifty gallon tank, my question is should i buy me a used tank and get my own gas line and hook it up myself? Do you guys think they are being high on the setup and install of the tank.

I would purchase a tank instead of renting. That way you are in control of where you buy propane from. You are not locked in with that one company and if you use less than you think, there will be no penalty. You can shop around for the best gas price that way.
The install price doesn't seem too bad especially if they are running a new line from the tank to the stove and conncecting the stove. You could always call a plumber (most are certified for gas install at least around me) and ask what their price would be for running the line.

Something else to consider. When a tank is filled, they will only fill it to around 80% of it's capacity. In other words, if you have a 250 gallon tank, they will only put 200 gallons in it. The other 20% is for expansion. Furthermore, it is easy to run a propane line. Just use soapy water when completed to check for leaks. Don't use a lighter.

+2 what dumbodog said......
rn

Ridgerunner,
You may want to check out the "Articles for sale" forum at Hearth. There's a 500 gal. propane tank for sale in Beckley, WV. I'm not sure how far away that is from you.

Status
Not open for further replies.