Advice on replacing VC winterwarm large

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tommybro

Mar 18, 2008
Terryville, CT
Hi,
I am looking for advice on replacing my Winterwarm large with something different. It's about 10 years old and I think it's pretty played out. Over the years the cover over the catalytic converter broke, and it still ran fine after that but this year I think it finally died. The grate on the bottom I had to have welded and the damper needs to be replaced, it wont close or open properly. It won't properly seat in the "clips" at the top.

I really was not happy with this unit anyhow, I would have to keep this thing loaded and feed it about ever 4 to 6 hours to keep my house ( about 1600 sq ft ) at 70. I have electric heat so I use wood as my only heat source. I average about 6 cords of wood per year.

What are your thoughts on a different unit to get, I would like to keep the price lower as anyone else would but would pay more for a quality unit.

Thanks in advance for any input you can offer
Tom

In your area, maybe stop by Preston Trading Post and take a look at the Jotul C550 Rockland. If the Pacific Energy Summit or Lopi Freedom fit, they are also 3 cu ft inserts with long burn times.

Stopping into a fine place like Prestons and walking out with an insert is never a bad idea. Good bunch of folks. If you keep it over 2.5 CF firebox you should be able to get those overnight burns your looking for.

Hi, Thanks for the replies, I went and checked out a summit and it looks good.

Is there any drawbacks to this insert? Do you think there are any better ones out there?

The guy I talked to gave me a quote of around $2600 I know it will be a bit more when I factor in connectors with my chimmney liner etc so I figure it should run about $3000 with me doing the install.

When I brought the Winterwarm last time the total was around $2500 with installation and I felt that I had gotten taken then and am trying not to again.

The $3000 is about how much I figured I would have to pay but am just looking for others opinions.

Thanks in advance

$2,600 is what my local stove store gets for the Summit insert. As I remember that is around two hundred under list price.

While I think the Summit is a heck of insert there have been, three I believe, forum members discover cracks in the corners of the door opening last season. PE seemed to step up to the plate and get them repaired pretty quickly though.

Ain't dissing the stove, the owners love'em, but there were those occurrences.

Thanks for the reply seems to be a pretty solid insert.

I currently go though about 6 cord a year any idea on how much I would go though with a summit, I like to keep the house at around 70

Send a pm to forum member Hogzwild. He has been burning a Summit insert for a few years. He'll give ya the full monte on this heater.

Status
Not open for further replies.