Advice or Tips for Building a Hearth for my existing fireplace(PICS)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

coldairguy

Oct 19, 2010
So. California
Hi All! NewBie here.

Our First house and we are kinda stuck on what to do with the fireplace....

It's Wood Burning, We are considering converting to gas log as I have installed a central air so really only use this for ambiance once in a while.

The Opening for this fireplace is off the floor but they didn't build the hearth up higher for some reason and it looks funky to us. We are on a raised foundation and presently it appears there is only tile on the floor maybe over cement board, i'm not certain though.

I'm wondering if anyone here has come across this situation and what is the most practical way to build this hearth so it's raised and looks normal? Framed with lumber or out of block? I want it to be strong enough so there isn't an issue if someone sits on it etc...

Thanks ahead of time for any help! I will upload some better pics tomorrow.

Attachments

• lindauer2.jpg
    lindauer2.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 346
You could use a wood frame and use hearth stone for the top. Make sure you but a metal strip down between firebox and the stone. When I installed my fireplace I made a wood frame and then covered it with durarock wrapped the sides in cultured stone and put hearth stones on the top.

Status
Not open for further replies.