AE pot floor springs

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tsmith

Minister of Fire
Sep 13, 2009
Kutztown, PA
Does anyone know how to tell when the floor springs need replacing? I am having problems with many brands of pellets forming clinkjers in my AE and am starting to think that maybe the springs are bad allowing air in around the floor, helping to cause my problems. I know alot of other people are having clinkering problems this year, what the hell is going on?

I think if you look at the bottom of the burn pot and see a gap between the pot and the bottom, it's time to replace. I just picked up the 4 springs over the weekend. They don't give those things away. $4 a piece. I'm gong to replace them at the end of the season, as a precaution. I want to take the burn pot out and give it a thorough clean after shutting down for the year. Might as well do the springs at the same time. Maybe, I'm just being anal.

gblaue said:
I think if you look at the bottom of the burn pot and see a gap between the pot and the bottom, it's time to replace. I just picked up the 4 springs over the weekend. They don't give those things away. $4 a piece. I'm gong to replace them at the end of the season, as a precaution. I want to take the burn pot out and give it a thorough clean after shutting down for the year. Might as well do the springs at the same time. Maybe, I'm just being anal.
Well thats what I was thinking of doing to. After the season remove the pot and grind it clean with a wire wheel and then replace the springs. The pot gaskets aren't cheap either, I believe they are around $25. How long have you had your stove and is this the first time your replacing the springs?

$32 for the gasket. This is the second my second season with the Mt.Vernon AE. I had a Castille for 2 seasons before. This will be the first time for the springs. The stove has been great so far. I've cracked 5 baffles, but that's about it. After all the stories about igniter failures, I keep one of those on hand.

Well I bought the springs and gasket tonight, $15.00 springs and $25.00 for burn pot gasket. It took me 2.5 hours to change them, what a pain in the :mad: . But it appears to be worth it so far the new springs are much stiffer. I set the stove to hardwood normal elevation and I have a very active strong , hot flame. Time will tell if it solves my clinker problem with the Hamers.

tsmith said:
Well I bought the springs and gasket tonight, $15.00 springs and $25.00 for burn pot gasket. It took me 2.5 hours to change them, what a pain in the :mad: . But it appears to be worth it so far the new springs are much stiffer. I set the stove to hardwood normal elevation and I have a very active strong , hot flame. Time will tell if it solves my clinker problem with the Hamers.

WELL how did it go? Cant wait to hear if that is the problem?

pelletkrzd said:
tsmith said:

Well I was able to switch back to hardwood pellet setting and -5 flame height. I am still on high elevation. The Hamers are still forming small clinkers, but they are dropping out now and not dsticking to the pot sides when it autocleans, so yea I would say it was worth while.

tsmith said:
pelletkrzd said:
tsmith said:

Well I was able to switch back to hardwood pellet setting and -5 flame height. I am still on high elevation. The Hamers are still forming small clinkers, but they are dropping out now and not dsticking to the pot sides when it autocleans, so yea I would say it was worth while.

good for you---I will have to switch out the springs also. Thanks for the info.

Status
Not open for further replies.