After 2.5 Tons of LG Granules....My Findings

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

amick780

Jun 27, 2009
Northern New York
Well,
I have always burnt Eagle Valley, Barefoot, or Okanagan's pellets, but this year I purchased LG's due to none of my other favorites being available. The good....lots of heat, this is the first winter since I can remember that I have not had to turn my furnace on to help the stove out. I still have 500 gals. of propane sitting in the tank!! Keep in mind that I am heating 2700sq/ft with just my XXV pellet stove average temps in the house 70 downstairs, 67 upstairs. Almost sounds like I have found the best pellet made....but, they are dirty!! Really Dirty!!!!! The ash bucket fills up in about a week!! Also, they produce lots of soot requiring more complete cleanings than I am use to. Every 2 weeks of wire brushing, vacuuming, scraping, blah blah blah you know the drill, vs. A vacuum every two weeks and a complete cleaning every 4 weeks with my previous pellets. So my dilemma for next year becomes the pain in the ass cleaning from the dirty pellets but lots of heat...or a little less heat but cleaner pellet. Always a hard choice, no one hates cleaning that stove more the me....well expect my wife who has to deal with the black soot dust that collects on everything when I am cleaning the stove. My cougar ash vac is another topic....not thoroughly convinced... I think I liked my Shop Vac with the drywall bags better. Way more powerful!

I have read so many many posts on LG pellets being excellent .
I tried them, yes they are very good but in my stove, not excellent. Good heat,
but like you said dirty.
This season been running Barefoot and they run most excellently !
I dont think I would use LG pellets again.

UncleAnthony said:
but like you said dirty.

I am thinking that I will forgo the LG's next year...I actually saw Hammer's this morning at Lowes for $198/ton. I have not burned them before but have heard good reports on them.

amick780 said:
UncleAnthony said:
but like you said dirty.

I am thinking that I will forgo the LG's next year...I actually saw Hammer's this morning at Lowes for $198/ton. I have not burned them before but have heard good reports on them.

I agree on the Barefoots....I'm burning them now and the burnpot hasn't been this clean in some time....very good heat, and hardly any fines in the bags.

$198 for Hamer's Hot Ones is a pretty good price.....does this include the 10% off "moving" coupon from the post office? If not, that would bring the $ down to $178....a GREAT price for Hamer's!

Status
Not open for further replies.