aftermarket add-on catlyst within pipe...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Check with forum member Eric Johnson. He had one in the pipe for his old boiler but I think he got rid of it. Either before or when he got his new gasifier boiler.

I would think it would have to be right next to the stove, i.e. first thing attached to the flue collar, in order to quickly get the cat up to operating temp. And you'd want a cat thermometer immediately adjacent.

The prices seem odd, hardly any difference even though the 8" unit in the pic has a much bigger cat (and they tend to cost by the square inch if you look at the plain cats being sold at the same site).

Eddy

I was thinking the same thing- about the price- you would think the 8" would be much more...

I was thinking the same thing as you about placement.... am still curious how well it would work.... I am surprised I can't find any review anywhere on this...

I wonder how much the thing chokes off even when open-- seems like it is wide enough to restrict normal air flow even... ,might want to size up to 8 inch then back down to 6 in right above just to allow enough bypass airflow...

probably not worth the cost-- but I am curious

I never tried one but a lot of people did back in the 80's. I never heard of anything good from the exercises. Since the cat chamber in a cat stove burns at 1400 degrees plus I never wanted my stove pipe that hot. They make those cat chambers out of refractory material for a reason. Even if you didn't have a probe thermo I guess you tell when the cat fires off by the red glow of the pipe. :bug:

This was one of the questions my insurance company ask. I do not think they would approve a stove with one of these. If it was built into the stove it was OK, but if it was an add on, it was a no no.

BrotherBart said:
I never tried one but a lot of people did back in the 80's. I never heard of anything good from the exercises. Since the cat chamber in a cat stove burns at 1400 degrees plus I never wanted my stove pipe that hot. They make those cat chambers out of refractory material for a reason. Even if you didn't have a probe thermo I guess you tell when the cat fires off by the red glow of the pipe. :bug:

Ah I see your back from vacation

Hanko said:
Ah I see your back from vacation

McCain and I suspended activities so we could go and fix the economy. It didn't work. >:-(

Bunch of interesting sort-of-tech info from a cat manufacturer here:

http://www.sud-chemie.com/scmcms/web/page_en_3577.htm

Nothing that's directly applicable to the Does It Work question in this thread, but useful background reading about the various things that affect cat effectiveness.

(There are links at the bottom of the page and also in the left column -- tedious site to navigate but hey, at leat they put the info out there.)

Eddy

For that price I have an old one someone gave me, but I never tried it, that I might sell you. The one I have also looks to be built a little better. I heard they weren't that great so I never tried it, but ho knows.

I was about to buy one when I stumbled upon you guys. Have you tried it yet? Any luck?
I have a Hearth Craft franklin type stove, I’m not sure of the model.
It came with my house, it’s fairly drafty, but I think I’m going to try 85-95% wood heating this winter.
I’m looking for any way to boost its efficiency, any other suggestions would be very much appreciated.
I looked at a new catalytic stove, but I was quoted about $3300 installed. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.