Air circulation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

timlynne

Dec 2, 2010
No Central Pa
My wood stove is in my basement. My cellar door is in the back of my kitchen and we leave it open so the heat will keep it warm as it is the coldest room in the house. I had 3 small floor registers put in this summer two are pretty much right above the stove and I do feel heat coming up them. I wonder if it would improve overall circulation if I mounted a small fan in the basement under the 3rd register? That register is at the farthest end of the house in a hall way at the bottom of my open stairway. Then I was thinking of putting a small floor fan in the basement. If I did that should I put the floor fan behind the stove or in front of it. In other words would it be more efficient to pull the air past the stove or blow it at it? Or wouldn't this help at all?

Blow cold air towards the stove. If you can at the top of the stairs angled down the stairs. If no room try downstairs, at bottom of stairs. Blow/suck the cold air it is more dense than the warm air, it will create a slight vaccuum and the warm air will replace it.

timlynne said:
My wood stove is in my basement. My cellar door is in the back of my kitchen and we leave it open so the heat will keep it warm as it is the coldest room in the house. I had 3 small floor registers put in this summer two are pretty much right above the stove and I do feel heat coming up them. I wonder if it would improve overall circulation if I mounted a small fan in the basement under the 3rd register? That register is at the farthest end of the house in a hall way at the bottom of my open stairway. Then I was thinking of putting a small floor fan in the basement. If I did that should I put the floor fan behind the stove or in front of it. In other words would it be more efficient to pull the air past the stove or blow it at it? Or wouldn't this help at all?

I agree, place the fan behind the stove and push the cold air past it. Also, to quickly comment on your in floor registers. My stove is on the first floor and in order to move some additional warm upstairs I installed a 'in-line' duct fan between the floors on one floor vent using a dimmer switch to control the fan speed. It was a summer time project for me but I have to say it makes a big difference in the night time temps on the second floor.

Status
Not open for further replies.