Air Leak

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

titikiki

Jun 21, 2008
Calverton, NY
Quadrafire AE Insert into old non-masonry chimney. When the winds are blowing harsh outside, I can feel air come in around where the insert sides and the surround meet. Any suggestions on what I can do?

Do you have a Block Off Plate? Or any Insulation in there?

How about an OAK (outside Air Kit). The stove will draw in more air through the leaks in your house for combustion. If you do not have one...

The block-off plate AND some insulation above it will help the most, if you don't have them already.

The unit is vented up my old nonmasonary chimney. Didn't realize about a block-off plate or insulation. What material should I use for the block-off plate? Is there a certain distance it should be above the unit? What kind of insulation should I use? Thanks for the help!

Cold in NY said:
The unit is vented up my old nonmasonary chimney. Didn't realize about a block-off plate or insulation. What material should I use for the block-off plate? Is there a certain distance it should be above the unit? What kind of insulation should I use? Thanks for the help!

The block off plate has a hole in it just big enough for the new venting to pass through. It is a piece of sheet metal that spans the masonry chimney's flue and must be sealed to the masonry.

You can insulate it with a bat of fireproof material (I have no idea what is commonly used) I'd likely use kaowool.

Since you have an air flow going there it is likely that the cap isn't sealed as well, which means likely water infiltration.

It is also possible that the air flow is coming from the fireplaces ash clean out, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.