Air Source and Cleaning of Your Dog House?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jadm

Dec 31, 2007
colorado
I am just learning about this thing on my insert called the 'dog house'. My manual does not mention it at all.

Does it get it's air from the primary air used in the air wash or from secondary air or from a source all of it's own?

How do you keep yours free from ash since it sits right down in the fire box?

Thanks!

I use the curved hook of the poker to clear away the ashes so as not to push the ashes into the opening. Mine takes air from the room through a small hole underneath the firebox and there is a growing pile of ashes directly beneath the hole.

I've looked at the drawings in the Jutul manual and could not determine where it draws air from and what would happen if ashes got going in the wrong direction. As long as the door is closed, the draft should keep it clear. If careless ash removal did plug it, a shop vac should be able to clean it out.

Thank-you for the info. I was surprised that it wasn't mentioned in the manual.

Since I have discovered it I have been more attentive to the ashes on the shelf around it making sure I use the whisk broom along the groove. I also use a 19 gauge piece of galvanized wire to clear the channels in it out. Works great and easier than bringing in the shop vac. Can clear it even when insert is hot.

I have read about ash plugging the primary air vent in the C450, but can't figure out from the diagrams in the manual what the area in question is for the C550.
Like LLigetfa, Once I open the doors, I close the primary air on my C450 before I add logs/rake coals to avoid ash entering the intake, then sweep the area clear before I reopen the air and close the doors.

Can you post a picture of the area in question on the C550?

oconnor said:
Can you post a picture of the area in question on the C550?

Can't post pic. Not that computer literate... :red:

550 fire box is different from the 450. This isn't in the manual.

550 has about 3" of raised shelf right inside the door with a very thin channel immediately inside the door. Dog house sits on this shelf between the 2 andirons. Raised about 1/4 inch. Ash will get on shelf as load burns and then is blown into the channel inside of the door and then through the channel in the dog house onto burning load.

It isn't a big deal. I just never knew it was there and have had this insert for a year. Since I didn't know it was there I never paid attention to the area when cleaning etc so it was easy for ash to get into it. Now that I know it is there it is fine.

Mostly my curiosity was piqued as to where it gets it's air. From what I have discovered looking inside the fire box it seems to come from the primary air moving across the class. Haven't ventured under the firebox to see if it has it's own source as others seem to have. Will have to explore more which always seems to lead to more questions. :-/

Status
Not open for further replies.