Alaska Garden Pictures (updates)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bogydave

Minister of Fire
Dec 4, 2009
So Cent ALASKA
Eating lots of rabbit food.
zucchini, & cabbage soon.

Attachments

• grd6-29-11a.jpg
    grd6-29-11a.jpg
    308.3 KB · Views: 453
  • grd6-2911.jpg
    grd6-2911.jpg
    214.2 KB · Views: 470
Looking good. I'm surprised the moose are not helping themselves.

Who said the growing season in Alaska is short?

Very nice Dave. Always look forward to your pics of the greenhouse. I like your use of the olds tires as the raised beds as well...nice to see old things being reused!

Beautiful, you have gardening down to a science. I can't believe how weed free it is. Do you work on this full-time?

Thanks all.

Moose normally stop by next month, (just as the broccoli are ready to pick & freeze up) fence helps, bb gun sometimes moves them along. Keep trying to get a moose permit for the area I live in. I think broccoli feed moose would taste real good. But I belong to PETA: "People who Eat Tasty Animals"
I moved the potato patch outside since they don't eat potatoes, just like to walk all over them. (more room inside the fence to hopefully help protect the plants from moose.)

LOL weed free. It was dry for a while, but after the rain I have lots of weeds starting to sprout. I did have the landscape cloth down last year & it may have reduced weed seed production but the slugs liked the covers so I pulled them. I'd rather have weeds than slugs. :) I usually call myself the "chickweed farmer".

Long days: We have even had some sun this year so the garden is growing well. over 19 hours for a few more days.

Update pics, getting zucs, cabbage, salads stuff, broc & cauliflower heading, everything still growing

Attachments

• Grd7-6-11a.jpg
    Grd7-6-11a.jpg
    370.7 KB · Views: 386
  • Grd7-6-11c.jpg
    Grd7-6-11c.jpg
    212.2 KB · Views: 384
Broccoli heading, hope to freeze some soon. Lots of zucchini now.
Green house has lots of cucs & ripe tomatoes. Eating well.

Attachments

• Grd7-14-11a.jpg
    Grd7-14-11a.jpg
    317.1 KB · Views: 341
bogydave said:

That's about what my garden looked like 30 days ago, so you aren't far behind. I put in 32 broccoli plants. I froze 10 gallons from the heads and am living off the side shoots now, although they are about done.

What are those plants with the canes sticking up along the edges?

WOW Awesome!

lukem said:
bogydave said:

That's about what my garden looked like 30 days ago, so you aren't far behind. I put in 32 broccoli plants. I froze 10 gallons from the heads and am living off the side shoots now, although they are about done.

Raspberries, but last winter we had several below zero days with wind which freeze dried this years berry cane. I will get a few gallons from down lo on the plants but not many.
Just put up a bunch of broc today, I have some various ages so I'll have to put more up in about a week, & then side shoots should be some after that. Made a batch of sour kraut from 2 heads of cabbage. Smoking some salmon, busy time of the year.
my helpers like raw cabbage

Attachments

• 100_6521.jpg
    100_6521.jpg
    244.4 KB · Views: 316
bogydave said:
my helpers like raw cabbage

Great pic. Little smiles while they are stuffing their faces are two of our best rewards from the garden.

lukem said:
bogydave said:

I think I read somewhere that if you cut off the main stem about an inch above the bottom most leave that the broccoli plant will start a new main stem and re-head??? Might be worth a try on one just to see. Rabbits and aphids (I don't spray) usually infest mine so the wife don't plant them anymore (but we do the rest of the regular brassica's).

Dave you just gave me a great idea with the mini greenhouse planters. I have an issue with critters and the deer eating things that I plant. I can build a cheap box with scrap wood laying around the house and go to the city dump and find some plexiglass or general glass from old windows, effective for keeping the critters from eating our stuff and with the crazy weather that we have around her the greenhouse will help. thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.