alaskan mill

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smokinj

Minister of Fire
Aug 11, 2008
Anderson, Indiana
Anyone running one of these I think I will order one soon and also mini mill Have a few nice trees to do.
Any suggestion's?

J are you talking about a 20" mill (mini mill) or something else. I have been thinking about a 20" mill and looking for a 80cc saw for a larger mill.

MMaul said:
J are you talking about a 20" mill (mini mill) or something else. I have been thinking about a 20" mill and looking for a 80cc saw for a larger mill.

The mini mill 20in. I will use on the 361 that starts the first run if its sq the rest should be good to go. Using just one saw I here is a Bite changing mills on one saw . Looks like I will need to sell some board ft...lol

I have thought about one for the 361 because I seem to come across alot of walnut that is perfect for a 20" bar.

Well Got the green light from the wife and the walnut is sold and will pay for it....Think I will mill the hickory and the popular...

MMaul said:
I have thought about one for the 361 because I seem to come across alot of walnut that is perfect for a 20" bar.

How much do you have that needs done?

Not a whole lot. The last trunk that I cut into 3-4 foot lengths about 12, plus some from last year. Who did you sell the last walnut to?

MMaul said:
Not a whole lot. The last trunk that I cut into 3-4 foot lengths about 12, plus some from last year. Who did you sell the last walnut to?

My dad was over for Easter dinner, Hes been building cabinet for over 55 years wants all I can get. Knew he would want it so dont have to worry about losing any money. So milling starts in a couple weeks!

You want to buy some or trade some for mill work?

MMaul said:
You want to buy some or trade some for mill work?

trade of course....

Good it will make room for more firewood, clear up two more pallets.

MMaul said:
Good it will make room for more firewood, clear up two more pallets.

be ready in two weeks

No problem let me know, I need to make more room.

MMaul said:
No problem let me know, I need to make more room.

been watching them for a long time just affarid I didnt have enough saw power but If we cut the big oaks for firewood the rest should be easy enough. Look into the dual power head systems as well but I think it will all work out with most of what I get.. The trailer winch is in should be pulling logs tuesday.

A friend of mine has an Alaskan mill. He runs a Husky 3120 XP with 38" bar. The setup is a little clunky, but once he gets going, it produces some pretty nice boards. As soon as I can drag it out of the woods, he and I are going to mill a big White Oak that came down near me during the big snow in February. It will be the new decking for the old flatbed.

Flatbedford said:
A friend of mine has an Alaskan mill. He runs a Husky 3120 XP with 38" bar. The setup is a little clunky, but once he gets going, it produces some pretty nice boards. As soon as I can drag it out of the woods, he and I are going to mill a big White Oak that came down near me during the big snow in February. It will be the new decking for the old flatbed.
yep I have some project's pick out for some wood all ready and now that you mention it the trailer will need redone in the next year hickory floor? lol got the love the mills cheap way to build that's for sure.

Jay - when you get that mill up and running - give us a good report (and lots of pics). I have also been considering one of the alaskans. From what I understand, you will also get good at "stickering" and banding, but I really don't know a whole lot about it. You got storage for drying??

The other thing that keeps this in the back of my mind is that I have a large planer. It is an industrial 18" wedge bed Rockwell planer run with a 5hp 220 motor. This sucker weighs in at about 1000 pounds, so even large planks (up to 13" deep) can be fed through it. So basically if I had a mill, I could turn trees into finished lumber, I just haven't been able to pull the trigger on a mill yet.

Check out the Milling and Sawmills section over at Arbiristsite. Lots of pictures and quite a bit of information on Alaskan Mills there.

Flatbedford said:
Check out the Milling and Sawmills section over at Arbiristsite. Lots of pictures and quite a bit of information on Alaskan Mills there.

That is one of my goto places, but I feel pretty much like a moron. At least with Jay starting from scratch he will go through some of the trials and tribulations of a newby and hopefully shed some insight to a guy like me.

I hear you. They are not as friendly with rookies over there as we are here. However, I did post a couple rookie milling questions a couple weeks ago and the responses were friendly and helpful.

Flatbedford said:
I hear you. They are not as friendly with rookies over there as we are here. However, I did post a couple rookie milling questions a couple weeks ago and the responses were friendly and helpful.

Oh, I like the folks over there. Thats not the issue. I have never even "seen" one of these things in real life. I wouldn't even know the best way to level the rails at this point.

I guess I didn't quite understand you there.
My buddy uses a nice flat 2x12 as the starter. He levels it with felling wedges and then nails it down with 20d common nails. The setup is pretty quick and easy. The hardest part seems to be clamping the saw into the thing and setting the depth of cut. Once it is set, the actual ripping is the easy part, at least with his 118cc saw it is. The thing sounds like a motocross bike!

Jags said:
Jay - when you get that mill up and running - give us a good report (and lots of pics). I have also been considering one of the alaskans. From what I understand, you will also get good at "stickering" and banding, but I really don't know a whole lot about it. You got storage for drying??

The other thing that keeps this in the back of my mind is that I have a large planer. It is an industrial 18" wedge bed Rockwell planer run with a 5hp 220 motor. This sucker weighs in at about 1000 pounds, so even large planks (up to 13" deep) can be fed through it. So basically if I had a mill, I could turn trees into finished lumber, I just haven't been able to pull the trigger on a mill yet.

The wood will dry in my shop and my dad has anything you can think of hes like me if there a blade that he needs he will build a machine around it...I will be geting two mills ones a mini mill and its just for your first cut if it goes well the rest should be easy or should I say nice slabs.

Jags said:
Flatbedford said:

That is one of my goto places, but I feel pretty much like a moron. At least with Jay starting from scratch he will go through some of the trials and tribulations of a newby and hopefully shed some insight to a guy like me.
I will pass it all on for sure...with video's

Flatbedford said:
I guess I didn't quite understand you there.
My buddy uses a nice flat 2x12 as the starter. He levels it with felling wedges and then nails it down with 20d common nails. The setup is pretty quick and easy. The hardest part seems to be clamping the saw into the thing and setting the depth of cut. Once it is set, the actual ripping is the easy part, at least with his 118cc saw it is. The thing sounds like a motocross bike!

I dont have a 118cc saw but what I will be milling is walnut and poplar for the most part and one hickory so it would be nice to have it but I will not be milling that much..

Status
Not open for further replies.