All I can say is WOW!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EarlyMan

Jun 7, 2011
Scarborough, Maine
Hi Gang -

Well, we had a propane fireplace in our LR, which gave off very little heat. This Summer past, we replaced it with a Quardrafire MT Vernon. We still have a propane range in the kitchen, so we still use propane, but not much.

Well, getting rid of the propane fireplace was the best thing we ever did, because we got a small propane delivery yesterday. Guess what propane is going for here in Southern Maine.... $6.45 a gallon!! I almost fainted when I got the bill - 16.9 gallons - $108.00! I can't understand why heating oil is about $3.25 around here, but propane is nearly 2x as much.

EarlyMan

EarlyMan said:
Hi Gang -

Well, we had a propane fireplace in our LR, which gave off very little heat. This Summer past, we replaced it with a Quardrafire MT Vernon. We still have a propane range in the kitchen, so we still use propane, but not much.

Well, getting rid of the propane fireplace was the best thing we ever did, because we got a small propane delivery yesterday. Guess what propane is going for here in Southern Maine.... $6.45 a gallon!! I almost fainted when I got the bill - 16.9 gallons - $108.00! I can't understand why heating oil is about $3.25 around here, but propane is nearly 2x as much.

EarlyMan

What was the delivery fee?

That's likely a "small volume" price. At least I hope it is.

I recently had my tank size reduced because I no longer needed a 500 gal. tank. Unfortunately, the smaller tank and a 3 delivery schedule (fall, mid-winter, spring) per gal price is about $0.50 more.

At my business we go through a lot of propane. Mainly generator usage and a hot water pressure washer. They filled our 1000 gal tank a couple weeks ago for $2.19/gal

It sounds like you may have been taken advantage of a little. Or it could have been the fact that you only got 16 gallons. They may have some type of minimum charge.

I might would call around and check prices. I always ask the price before they make a delivery.

This is a good site to check average prices in your state for propane and oil. http://www.eia.gov/dnav/pet/pet_pri_wfr_dcus_nus_w.htm

holly chit...you got taken..i'd look around for a different supplier...
i just got a delivery here last week..11.8 gals.3.35/gal..
use it for cooking and cloths dryer....

Crooks! I am so glad I can cut out the use of my propane furnace. I still need it to cook and for hot water unfortunately. That price is ridiculous. Something doesn't sound right.

My propane supplier charged me 5.00 gallon last summer because I am considered a "small user" less than 200 gallons per year. I told him to take the tanks out and I would find another supplier. Found supplier that will deliver at market price 3x per year.

EarlyMan said:
- 16.9 gallons - $108.00! EarlyMan

roadking88 said:
11.8 gals.3.35/gal..

my supplier won't unwind the hose for that amount.

need a 200 gal. minimum, of course its only $1.75ish here.

There was a $4.00 Admin fee, but it stated right on the ticket $6.445/ gal.

Update: I just called the company that made the delivery- the person stated that since we use such a small amount (for cooking only), we had to pay a higher rate. I said that I could understand paying a surcharge for not using as much, but we're paying roughly double the going rate! (I checked local rates online). Well, she obviously wasn't in a position to make any executive decisions, so I hung up and now will start looking for a new supplier.

So I save money heating with pellets just to around and hand it over to the propane guy! :eek:hh:

EarlyMan

EarlyMan said:

Update: I just called the company that made the delivery- the person stated that since we use such a small amount (for cooking only), we had to pay a higher rate. I said that I could understand paying a surcharge for not using as much, but we're paying roughly double the going rate! (I checked local rates online). Well, she obviously wasn't in a position to make any executive decisions, so I hung up and now will start looking for a new supplier.

So I save money heating with pellets just to around and hand it over to the propane guy! :eek:hh:

EarlyMan

I'm hoping you can find a less expensive supplier. Years ago I delivered propane and it's amazing the profit that these companies make. Good Luck!

my next option was to buy my own 100# cylinder (24 gal) and bring it to a local fill station near by..
they said they would fill it for 70 bucks..
just a pain in the butt unhooking it bringing it down and re hooking it up......
but cheap.......

EarlyMan said:

EarlyMan

Maybe you should go pay the bill in person. They will take one look at you and..........??

LOL!
images

Maybe you should go pay the bill in person. They will take one look at you and..........??

LOL!
images
[/quote]

Hey now just a doggon' minute! I was rushed the day that they wuz takin' them school pictures (cuz Pa made me butcher a hog befur I cud go to class) and I didn't have time to put on a clean shirt! So, what yer sayin' is if I get dressed up reel gud before I go down there it jest might make a defference with them folks? ;-P

Status
Not open for further replies.