Allowable clearance to sliding door.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RALPH125

Jun 22, 2008
SE Mass
Just picked up the Simpson Vent kit for my Englander-25 stove.

It mentions the NFPA211 clearances as being at least 4 feet horizontally from a door or window opening.

Where I planned on having the the vent exit is about 32 inches from the edge of a sliding door.

This side of the door though--is the fixed part of the slider---it doesn't move--it won't open.
Distance to the moving part of the slider is over 4 feet.

Can I locate the vent pipe where I plan or am breaking the rules?...........

I shouldn't be responding as I can't provide you with a definitive answer. However, logic tells me that you should be able to. It says "door or window opening" and the part you are talking about never opens. I know from other window clearances that you can have them closer than recommended if the window doesn't open.

Call your local Zoning Official or Fire Dept. Easier to find out now than once you pull out the sawzall.

Eric

Where I live the inspector will accept a window that's too close as long as it is screwed shut and therefore inoperable. The inoperable portion of your slider shouldn't be a problem but definitely stroke the inspector's ego and ask first...

I`d check first with local officials because some slider door panels can be reversed and if the inspector wants to be a real PITA he will not consider the stationary panel for fear of the next purchaser reversing the door.
Good luck.

I called Englander tech support this am to see if this had come up before...they said it was a grey area that could vary with the building inspector.

Fortunately-when I checked with the bld inspector-he said that he considered the fixed side of the slider to not really be an opening--it was a fixed panel & I could install the stove as I planned,

Good call Bubbrub....................................thx-Ralph

RALPH125 said:
I called Englander tech support this am to see if this had come up before...they said it was a grey area that could vary with the building inspector.

Fortunately-when I checked with the bld inspector-he said that he considered the fixed side of the slider to not really be an opening--it was a fixed panel & I could install the stove as I planned,

Good call Bubbrub....................................thx-Ralph
Great! Good luck with the install.

Status
Not open for further replies.