Almost done for the year

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeyD

Minister of Fire
Jun 15, 2008
South Jersey
I hit the wood piles hard this weekend and only have a small bit left to split and stack.

done.jpg

This guy has been keeping an eye on me the whole time.

bee2.jpg

I downed a couple of beverages watching him chase other bees away, or at least that is what it seemed he was doing. He would hover right in front of me so I took a mug shot in case he decides to invade my wood piles. Every year these guys are here but I never see any evidence of them attacking my wood or buildings.

Don't know which is more impressive, your wood piles or the close up of the bee......

I wouldn't worry about a bee or two making a home nearby, they will pollinate a lot of food crops for you :)

[quote author="JoeyD" date="1304290780"]I hit the wood piles hard this weekend and only have a small bit left to split and stack.

Nice work on the splitting & stacking and a great picture of your guardian of the stacks.

GIBIR

Nice display. Those size rounds make a little of firewood in a short period of time.

Great pic of the bee . . . very impressive.

Hey JoeyD, some of that wood is all old, weathered, and gray. I'd be more than happy to help 'ya out and dispose of it for you, except it's quite a drive. Guess you'll have to do it yourself. :lol:
How much have you got there, and how much do you use?
Looks good.

Joey, that looks great. Especially those older stacks. That will make for some great firewood.

Thanks for all the compliments though my stacks don't compare to many of the ones I see posted here.

I should have enough to bring me through the 2013-14 season and then some. All my wood is either red and white oak with some cherry, black locust and some new to me this year, mulberry mixed in. Its hard to get a good picture but when I'm done stacking I should have 21 pallets stacked mostly 5' high. I stopped measuring cubic feet and just try to replace what I burn each season, if I had to guess I would say I have about 11 cords.

My friend the bee has been hanging around for about two weeks now. He must be guarding something because every time another bee comes near him they go into a dog fight and he chases it away. I've tried snapping a picture of two of them fighting but I can't even get them into a frame let alone focus on them.

JoeyD said:
Thanks for all the compliments though my stacks don't compare to many of the ones I see posted here.

Which makes you brave as well.

Not everybody would dare post piccies of their stacks after seeing piccies here of row after row of perfect stacks all facing the wind.

My stack (note not even plural) will remain unphotographed until it looks a lot neater....... just as well there are no woodstack paparazzi about ;-)

JoeyD said:
Its hard to get a good picture but when I'm done stacking I should have 21 pallets stacked mostly 5' high. I stopped measuring cubic feet and just try to replace what I burn each season, if I had to guess I would say I have about 11 cords.

I use pallets that are 40" x 48" which seems to be pretty standard size around here. I stack now to 5' tall and figure 1/2 cord per pallet.
(5x4x3.33=66.6 slightly over a 1/2 cord)

Status
Not open for further replies.