Alone in the Wilderness

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jatoxico

Minister of Fire
Aug 8, 2011
Long Island NY
Dick Proenneke's Alone in the Wilderness was on this AM. What an amazing documentary and amazing guy. If you have never seen it this guy lived alone in Alaska for >30 yrs starting with not much more than some hand tools and a stove. He built his cabin and supplied most of his needs with his own wits and skill. All the while he documented his progress and the local wildlife with a 16mm camera.
He lived alone at his cabin at Twin Lakes until he 82. It is a remarkable complilation of film and worth a look if you have a chance. Now I'm inspired to find some place to hike and be "alone" today. Maybe Fire Island Nat Seashore.

I watch it every time it's on. Wife thinks I'm crazy.
When he make the door, hinges and bear proof lock out of wood, I almost fall out of my chair.
What talent!

I used to get lost in the woods as a kid, on purpose. By the time I was 14 my parents stopped calling the police and just accepted I would come home when I felt like it, or it would get too cold. I started my own cabin when I was 11 but underestimated the amount of work (it took too long, and my mom found out I was using an axe) I tried making an axe out of stone but couldn't get it to mate to the handle. So I went back to a lean-to I dug into the side of the river.

I couldn't count the number of tree forts, tunnels and other hangouts I built in the woods. Never gave a thought to dragging scrap lumber near the top of a 50' maple.

My brother and I used to build countless forts when we were kids.Dad was a carpenter,so we had an endless supply of nails and tools..(not supposed to use half the tools we did).I still run across hammers and handsaws while in the woods from 30 years ago_Our best one was a 6 story(4'story,we were short) we built off the end of the barn.see what happens when you leave two kids home alone.. Mom made us tear it down.she didn't figure it was up to code.lol...

I remember when this first aired 5 or 6 years ago. It's one of the few "movies" I could sit down and watch year after year.

My favorite line of his, which I often hear in my conscience is
"Too many men work on parts of things. Doing a job to completion satisfies me."

pen

I was hooked when I saw the show on PBS years ago.. I immediately bought the book and I also have the 500 page PDF which the national park service published.. Dick Proenneke is on my short list for people that I look up to..

Ray

north of 60 said:
I moved up here due to that show. Now its in my backyard but I have got all of the amenities.

Really? Is that true? Interesting.

It's an inspiring and fascinating story of what one man can do. I can't kid myself that I have his skills but even if I did I don't think I could do it the way he did.

Very happy in alone the woods, I don't get enough of that but it's nice to have someone to come home to though.

I don't know. I recall that he said his cabin was a warm 45 degrees inside or something like that. He was a better man than me.

I have it on the DVR and it gets erased under penalty of death! More than his skill one of the things that strikes me about Proenneke is his physical stamina. Imagine what it takes to hand saw an 8' pine log longways into planks! I'm in reasonable physical shape and like to swing the Fiskars now and then but the shape that Proenneke must have been in to build that cabin AND hunt for/gather food would put me to shame!

Badfish740 said:
I have it on the DVR and it gets erased under penalty of death! More than his skill one of the things that strikes me about Proenneke is his physical stamina. Imagine what it takes to hand saw an 8' pine log longways into planks! I'm in reasonable physical shape and like to swing the Fiskars now and then but the shape that Proenneke must have been in to build that cabin AND hunt for/gather food would put me to shame!

I used a bow saw to buck up a decent amount of wood while scrounging from Irene. Hard work and couldn't cut half as straight in 10-12" as he managed over 4-5". I should learn to sharpen up my saws.

jatoxico said:
north of 60 said:
I moved up here due to that show. Now its in my backyard but I have got all of the amenities.

It's an inspiring and fascinating story of what one man can do. I can't kid myself that I have his skills but even if I did I don't think I could do it the way he did.

Very happy in alone the woods, I don't get enough of that but it's nice to have someone to come home to though.

Yep, really. Winter camping with a wall tent, stove and raised cot out on the Ice somewhere fishin is a good way to ween yourself off of this site on the weekends. :lol:
Stepping out of the wall tent in the AM and seeing this........Not much traffic, Just the ring of bells on the fishing rod.

My avatar is pretty much my backyard.
Cheers

Attachments

• ICE1.jpg
    ICE1.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 623
Reactions: Lousyweather
Badfish740 said:

Speaking of avatars, Yours is from a movie with the young Robert Redford correct? What was the name of that movie? I would like to see it again.
Thanks.

north of 60 said:
jatoxico said:
north of 60 said:

Yep, really. Winter camping with a wall tent, stove and raised cot out on the Ice somewhere fishin is a good way to ween yourself off of this site on the weekends. :lol:
Stepping out of the wall tent in the AM and seeing this........Not much traffic, Just the ring of bells on the fishing rod.

My avatar is pretty much my backyard.
Cheers

Personally I think it's awesome! I too was so inspired by the video I saw years ago but with 5 kids etc. etc. I was simply left to dream about it.. Proenneke lived in unison with nature and did not try to bend it but conformed to it and to me that speaks volumes.. Great man, great story!

Ray

Nice view N 60. I cruised Alaska. Yeah I know, but we got out as much as possible and it was pretty cool, Glacier Bay, White Horse Pass and a couple sea plane/helicopter excursions. What was at least as great was the week we spent in Vancouver, I loved the whole area.

raybonz said:
I was hooked when I saw the show on PBS years ago.. I immediately bought the book and I also have the 500 page PDF which the national park service published.. Dick Proenneke is on my short list for people that I look up to..

Ray

. . . along with Backwoods Savage, right? ;) :)

Actually, in truth, I do look up to Dennis . . . for his up-beat attitude and how he has overcome adversity.

north of 60 said:
Badfish740 said:

Speaking of avatars, Yours is from a movie with the young Robert Redford correct? What was the name of that movie? I would like to see it again.
Thanks.
Jeremiah Johnson. Best movie EVER !

uncontrolabLEE said:
north of 60 said:
Badfish740 said:

Thanks.

Thanks HelpingLEE
:coolsmile:

firefighterjake said:
raybonz said:

Ray

. . . along with Backwoods Savage, right? ;) :)

Actually, in truth, I do look up to Dennis . . . for his up-beat attitude and how he has overcome adversity.

Yup I do look up to Dennis and respect his knowledge and his upbeat attitude as well.. For that matter I respect a great many people here Jake including you.. It is the collective knowledge, insight and humor that make this site so alive..

Ray

uncontrolabLEE said:
north of 60 said:
Badfish740 said:

Thanks.

I bet I have seen it and don't remember the title..

Ray

north of 60 said:
uncontrolabLEE said:
north of 60 said:
Badfish740 said:

Thanks.

Thanks HelpingLEE
:coolsmile:
Are you talking about Badfish's avatar, with the bearskin and head on the rough looking guy? I though that was from the newer "True Grit"

That sounds like a nice life, albeit a bit lonely. I would like to envision being so self sufficient, but it would take a very strong person to be a loner to that extreme. I spend about 70-80 hours a week in my office building for the most part alone with my stove. That is enough for me.

To rough it with no modern conveniences is a romantic idea.

firecracker_77 said:
That sounds like a nice life, albeit a bit lonely. I would like to envision being so self sufficient, but it would take a very strong person to be a loner to that extreme. I spend about 70-80 hours a week in my office building for the most part alone with my stove. That is enough for me.

To rough it with no modern conveniences is a romantic idea.

. . . and no access to hearth.com. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.