alot of ash

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys,

I cleaned out my eko 25 for the summer and removed the chimney connection pipe and it was half full with ash! Is this normal? there was really no creosote just a whole lot of ash. thanks for any info.

Len

I get a lot of ash buildup too. I put on a tee so I could clean it out about once a month. I think this is normal.

If you have no creosote then I can't see how it could be poor fuel quality. I think it sounds quite normal.

Unless you found something different, likely just flyash, dusty-gray stuff that is pulled out by the draft and then falls down the chimney. Different woods produce different amounts of ash. I have found that aspen produces about the most, birch has a fair amount, pine just dusty small ash, and oak very little ash. I think aspen and birch are high due to the mineral content in the bark.

You might as well give up if you're looking for a wood species that will not produce fly ash when burned in a gassifier. I had assumed everyone accepted this phenomenon. I don't know exactly why there is so much ash suspended but always assumed that it was the violence of the combustion that caused it. I installed a sliding blast gate on the tee when I was running my Wood Gun so I could clean it out on a regular basis. That beast produced tons of fly ash. I just held a bucket under the valve and slid it open.

I found the same thing when I pulled my pipe a week and a half ago, burned mostly red maple and softwoods. Wish I had room for a T, I may fix the situation this summer.

Here is a pic

Attachments

• DSC03090-1.JPG
    DSC03090-1.JPG
    14.7 KB · Views: 303
This is common with all the gasification units. Clean out the fly ash two or three times a heating season an you will be fine.

That's pretty much what I figured. I use a vac a few times during the winter to get most of it but sure would like a T.

I'm very interested in hearing about any tools, techniques, and tips anyone can offer about how to clean up the fly ash with a minimum of it spreading around the surrounding space. This includes not only the stuff in the flue but the fine dust that seems to get out and around in small quantities.

I am used to dealing with wood ash, but somehow the ash/dust from a gasifier seems even finer, and as a result, seems to "waft around" more easily even when I try to take pains to move it slowly and gently in efforts to keep it from getting airborne.

Thanks

Not only was my T full of fly ash, but now so is my floor! ha. I didn't have a good handle on my T cap when I popped my off this year. Droped and with it all the fly ash everywhere. Man I love learning the hard way!

I have an EKo40 and I also experienced this phenomenon.

I discovered this build up becasue I could not fully open the flap to my flue due to the pile of ash.

I'm assuming this is normal and thus I've been cleaning out my T every 2 months or so.

NWM

Status
Not open for further replies.