Alright, what's up with this...splitter question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fireview2788

Minister of Fire
Apr 20, 2011
SW Ohio
Alright, I loaned my splitter to a friend (I trust him and am sure if something happened while he was using it he would have told me) and I got it out to split a few logs I had laying around. I fire it up and I can tell it's running slow. When I say slow I mean that there's barely enough juice to run the splitter. I watch the throttle and see that it isn't moving like it was before. I haven't had a chance to talk to the guy I loaned it to but I thought I would test the waters here in the mean time.

Any ideas on why my Huskee is running like an overweight pug?

fv

Spring in place? Can you manual rev it up?

fireview2788 said:
Alright, I loaned my splitter to a friend (I trust him and am sure if something happened while he was using it he would have told me) and I got it out to split a few logs I had laying around. I fire it up and I can tell it's running slow. When I say slow I mean that there's barely enough juice to run the splitter. I watch the throttle and see that it isn't moving like it was before. I haven't had a chance to talk to the guy I loaned it to but I thought I would test the waters here in the mean time.

Any ideas on why my Huskee is running like an overweight pug?

fv

Water in the gas, the truck I use when hauling wood was less than a quarter full of gas and had been sitting for a week so this morning I start it up. It started good but once I went to go it hesitated,shook some so I took it over and put some dry gas in it then put some new gas in , not a problem with it after I drove it 1/4 of a mile.

zap

Yes, I can rev it manually. The only spring I can see is coiled and wrapped around the throttle screw. It doesn't attach to anything except the screw.

I wondered about the gas. He said he cleaned it before he brought it back and I wonder what he cleaned it with (ie:pressure washer) and accidentally got water in it.

fv

firev said:
Yes, I can rev it manually. The only spring I can see is coiled and wrapped around the throttle screw. It doesn't attach to anything except the screw.

I wondered about the gas. He said he cleaned it before he brought it back and I wonder what he cleaned it with (ie:pressure washer) and accidentally got water in it.

fv

Dont sound like water if you can rev it up. Check your manual and see if there is a blow up of that area. May have it on there web site. May have blown it off there with a pressure washer. Would not hurt to try the gas dry though I would rather be lucky than good and day!

Doesn't sound like water in the gas to me but I'd surely check that spring. A pressure washer could make it disconnect and then it would wrap around that screw.

Could you take a trip to the local Tractor Supply store and check to see how the springs are connected?

Yep, a trip will be in order if I can't find a good blow up pic of the engine. As always, thanks everyone!

fv

fireview2788 said:
Yep, a trip will be in order if I can't find a good blow up pic of the engine. As always, thanks everyone!

fv

I can send you a pic of mine tonight if you need it. I purchase mine last fall and it has the briggs engine.

Cool, that would be awesome!

fv

Alright. I'll snap a couple after work.

Mine's not a B&S, but the screw holding the throttle was a little loose and the throttle wouldn't hold.

fireview2788 said:
Cool, that would be awesome!

fv
I tried to get some pics, but the plastic cover on the engine obscures the throttle assembly on the carb. If you tilt you head just right you can see it, but I could get a decent shot with the camera. Sorry man,

Thanks for trying!

fv

Status
Not open for further replies.