Alternate hands when hand splitting?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

How often do you use your dominant hand when splitting?

• Always use dominant hand.

Votes: 10 55.6%
  • Occasionally use non-dominant hand.

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Regularly switch between dominant and non-dominant hand.

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Are you nuts!?!

Votes: 2 11.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lewiston

Burning Hunk
Jun 17, 2012
South Central, WI
In another thread I shared how lately I've been enjoying splitting wood by hand vs the hydro.
To even out the workout, yesterday started switching hands with each new round.
It was a bit awkward using my non-dominant hand but by the end of the splitting session became more natural. Today after the first couple of rounds (30" red oak and 24" cherry) I found a rhythm.
So questions is, how many give both arms a workout?

I can run the lever with either hand.
Ambidextrous :)

Reactions: Lewiston
I swing above my head using both arms just about the same......isn't that how everyone does it?:cool:

I switch hands when cutting logs with an axe because I want to make cuts at two opposite angles. I don't always remember to switch when splitting.

Always lead with my right/dominant hand but both hands are on the handle and applying force.

KaptJaq

Reactions: quads
I'd honestly never even considered switch hitting with the Fiskars. Don't think I'll try it either in case I'm as good a lefty at the splittiing block as I am at the plate

Reactions: Lewiston and onion
I injured my right elbow and it would hurt to split wood if I lead with the right. At first when I changed to my left hand leading I had accuracy issues much like I was beggining all over. Now I can split just as well with either hand leading.

I always use dominant hand but this thread has got me thinking that it would be a good idea to be proficient at both. I've learned to chop left handed because sometimes the situation makes right handed chopping nearly impossible. It never occurred to me to practice splitting with the opposite hand but I think I'll give it a try.

Gee, thanks. :rolleyes: I'll have to try it now...I'll be doing well not to chop my foot off! ;lol

Status
Not open for further replies.