Alternative Breckwell Big E combustion blower gasket.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

buildingmaint

Feeling the Heat
Jan 19, 2007
Oil City PA
Ok ,I'm being cheap . Original Breckwell combustion blower gaskets are $15.00 a piece. I'm looking to save some money with a cheaper in price , not quality or as safe product. Any suggestions? Local auto parts stores were NO HELP. Nor were the local heating and plumbing stores.

Use high temp silicone, like Permatex Red RTV, not a big deal, used it for years on my Whitfield.

Pellet-King said:
Use high temp silicone, like Permatex Red RTV, not a big deal, used it for years on my Whitfield.

not a good solution for combustion blowers, the silicone gets harder than lytherm overtime, and stove vibrations increase

there is a reason makers use lytherm

I think your lil off the wall , high temp silicone is made to withstand over 1200 degree's for years, i never saw it ever get hard as myself being a proffesional auto technician.
You just want to sell your overpriced fiberglass gaskets.....

I want my 2 dollar's..... really? ok pay $15 for an easy install gasket or $8 for silicone that is a messy install job and more time.... really now...

This may sound harsh but not meant to be. If you cant afford a $15 gasket you cant afford the pellet stove. Spend your $8 on a tube of silicone, and after you do all the work and clean the mess ask yourself if it was worth the $7 difference to have a perfect fit factory gasket thats made for that purpose.

Have used metal gasket material on my stove for years an have never replaced it yet. remove it a couple of times a year for cleanings.

I looked for a thread that was posted last season. I think it was summit but not positive, Could have been smoke show or maybe even balls of fire. But anyway, He recommended using window glass gasket. With the sticky back, And stick it to the blower housing.

The only issue I see is it may increase the noise some, But it should allow the motor to be removed with out sticking. You should get a few seasons before replacing. I haven't tried it yet, But I might. My stove is in the basement so not a problem with noise increase. But I hate changing gaskets 2 to 3 times a season. I clean my vent and exhaust after every ton. My gaskets are $26.00 plus shipping. Worth a shot for me!

If you try it let us know. By the way "Were are not cheap, We are frugal"! :lol: :cheese: ;-) ;-)

j-takeman said:
I looked for a thread that was posted last season. I think it was summit but not positive, Could have been smoke show or maybe even balls of fire. But anyway, He recommended using window glass gasket. With the sticky back, And stick it to the blower housing.

The only issue I see is it may increase the noise some, But it should allow the motor to be removed with out sticking. You should get a few seasons before replacing. I haven't tried it yet, But I might. My stove is in the basement so not a problem with noise increase. But I hate changing gaskets 2 to 3 times a season. I clean my vent and exhaust after every ton. My gaskets are $26.00 plus shipping. Worth a shot for me!

If you try it let us know. By the way "Were are not cheap, We are frugal"! :lol: :cheese: ;-) ;-)

Cheep, cheep err I mean cheap cheap. If the shoe fits wear it.

Well I mentioned that window glass gasket in passing here: https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewreply/591741/ and I remember the post you are talking about but thought it was smwilliamson who posted it.

I guess that happens when you get old like me.

Since we are on the subject of gaskets has anyone ever use a silicone base for your fire pot? The type that has been suggested to me is

Permatex - RTV Silicone Gasket Maker
Part Number: 81878
Line: PER

It's the ultra copper type that can resist over 700 degrees that is used on exhaust manifold, heads, etc. Also was wondering how hot does a fire pot get? I would think it would burn off.

Lineman30 said:
Since we are on the subject of gaskets has anyone ever use a silicone base for your fire pot? The type that has been suggested to me is

Permatex - RTV Silicone Gasket Maker
Part Number: 81878
Line: PER

It's the ultra copper type that can resist over 700 degrees that is used on exhaust manifold, heads, etc. Also was wondering how hot does a fire pot get? I would think it would burn off.

You will need a much higher rating than 700 degrees as wood fires can get above 1600 degrees.

Retort cement and a number of gasket adhesives are rated at 2000 degrees.

ETA: While waiting for my new burn pot back in early 2009, the stove guy sealed off part of my old burn pot with the a silicone gasket material. I asked him if it was as good as retort cement, he looked kind of funny and said he didn't know. The answer was no way the material he used lasted about 10 minutes before it had completely burned away.

SmokeyTheBear said:
j-takeman said:

Cheep, cheep err I mean cheap cheap. If the shoe fits wear it.

Well I mentioned that window glass gasket in passing here: https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewreply/591741/ and I remember the post you are talking about but thought it was smwilliamson who posted it.

I guess that happens when you get old like me.

Yep, must be the old age! Thanks for the tip SMW, sorry I though it was one of the other guys! :) I'm still sticken to the frugal thing! ;-P

Pellet-King said:
I think your lil off the wall , high temp silicone is made to withstand over 1200 degree's for years, i never saw it ever get hard as myself being a proffesional auto technician.
You just want to sell your overpriced fiberglass gaskets.....

dude, i could care less about selling a gasket

why do you thing stove makers use lytherm? and never/ever use silicone for this use.
you are clearly smarter than every single engineer in the stove industry

buildingmaint said:
Ok ,I'm being cheap . Original Breckwell combustion blower gaskets are $15.00 a piece. I'm looking to save some money with a cheaper in price , not quality or as safe product. Any suggestions? Local auto parts stores were NO HELP. Nor were the local heating and plumbing stores.

Cheap alternate is to buy gasket material from Amazon.com.
They sell high temp ceramic gasket material that is big enough to make a few gasket with.
The down side is it cost $8 plus shipping but you can make multiple gaskets with it.

Around here we are so cheap a guy gets three estimates for a haircut!

Nicholas440 said:
This may sound harsh but not meant to be. If you cant afford a $15 gasket you cant afford the pellet stove. Spend your $8 on a tube of silicone, and after you do all the work and clean the mess ask yourself if it was worth the $7 difference to have a perfect fit factory gasket thats made for that purpose.

This may sound harsh , but not ment to be. But your argument "IF YOU CAN'T AFFORD A $15.00 GASKET YOU CAN'T AFFORD TO RUN A PELLET STOVE"! make as much sence as saying if you look to buy cheap gas for your car you can't afford to drive. If you use coupons to save on groceries ,you can't afford to eat. Never said I can't afford , said I would like to find a cheaper alternative.

I helped a friend clean his stove tonight. Trying to save him some cash as the guy that cleaned it was charging $250. I showed him how to clean it, So he could do it himself next time. It was a breckwell P22 FS. And wouldn't you know it the guy had used the high temp sealer that gets rock hard. I didn't think I was going to get the blower off without wrecking the flange! I will never use that crap. Took darn near 1/2 hour to slowly pry it off with a small thin putty knife. I imagine high temp silicon would be similar? Just FYI!

P.S. I made sure he ordered a couple of gaskets a few months ago. I will use gaskets until I try an alternative that is still simple to remove!

I am the frist person who will try to find a deal but spending $15.00 on a gasket is not that bad. We can drop $15 on something else easly and not think twice about it,( eg in ny a pack of smokes is is $10) but when it come to keep my family and home safe $15 is bad at all. yes some of you may differ, but to all of the back yard auto mechanics out there would you try to use silicone for the hi temp areas. Just my 2 cent coming from a FAA mechanic firefighter, and smoker.BTW I am trying to find something that is cheaper and works

magsf11 said:
....but to all of the back yard auto mechanics out there would you try to use silicone for the hi temp areas.......

Have been working on my own vehicles for 35+ years, and also in auto racing for the same length of time. As for silicone to replace the gaskets, if I were going to do it, I'd use this:

www.permatex.com/products/automotiv...ermatex_High-Temp_Red_RTV_Silicone_Gasket.htm

We have been using this on the header flanges on our sprint cars for years to replace the regular fiber header gaskets, and it does not harden after being exposed to MUCH higher temps than you'll see in your stove, and it also comes apart pretty easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.