Am I a Dumb %#&?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chad S.

Nov 27, 2007
West Bend WI
I flipped my bar around, filed the burrs off and greased a bearing on the clutch and put a new chain on. It took me an hour!! 50 minutes was figuring out how to get the loops out of the new chain, I ended up with four loops, then two. Then 5 loops then 1. The 3 loops, then 2..............................................................WHAT A PAIN IN THE BUTT!!

I bet it cut real good though when it was all done.
Self teachers those chains are. After that you typically put it on backward & call yourself a dumb shi!!. Lesson learned!
Don't teach that kind of stuff in schools.

nope no one that actually gets off their a$$ and tries to do this stuff is dumb. Those that sit and do nothing are the ones that are DUM. Thats right D-U-M dum.

HUH

smokinjay said:

Hes sayin only dummies DONT try.... AND HES TRYIN. ;-P

Are ya picking up what im layin down smoky. :coolsmile:
Cheers

north of 60 said:
smokinjay said:

Hes sayin only dummies DONT try.... AND HES TRYIN. ;-P

Are ya picking up what im layin down smoky. :coolsmile:
Cheers

lol

Chadwylde said:
I flipped my bar around, filed the burrs off and greased a bearing on the clutch and put a new chain on. It took me an hour!! 50 minutes was figuring out how to get the loops out of the new chain, I ended up with four loops, then two. Then 5 loops then 1. The 3 loops, then 2..............................................................WHAT A PAIN IN THE BUTT!!

Go back into the woods and PRACTICE,PRACTICE AND PRACTICE. :)

ZAP

In response to the OP's question..

The jury is still out, but I am doubting a conviction.

Them dang chains have given me fits a time or two also. Seems one time I can get it straight in one flip/twist, next time it takes 5 minutes of cussing and gloves so I don't peel me fingers while getting madder and madder.

Chadwylde said:
I ended up with four loops, then two. Then 5 loops then 1. The 3 loops, then 2...
I don't want to call you out as a liar, so perhaps you can't count. Loop tangles come in pairs.

If you're really asking how to untangle a chain, it's extremely simple to do, just tough to explain.

It helps to remember that chains don't knot or twist, they just loop back and forth. Take a one loop chain and put a couple more loops in it and then take them out, you'll understand what they're doing in no time. Also, the cutters go on the OUTSIDE of the loop and the drive links go on the INSIDE so start with a section like that and unloop the ones that are inside out.

Chadwylde said:

To get that chain untangled....it all depend upon how you hold your mouth. :lol: It can be a challenge at times.

LLigetfa said:
Chadwylde said:
I ended up with four loops, then two. Then 5 loops then 1. The 3 loops, then 2...
I don't want to call you out as a liar, so perhaps you can't count. Loop tangles come in pairs.
I have seen 3's and 5's before

I really hate to say this, but in my experience, if you have a chain you can't get the loops out of, try this.- Add 4-6 more loops, and fit that 24" chain to a 16"bar. The "loops" act like oriental nanchucks, so nasty even Chuck Norris would back-off (and smile((a grim smile to be sure)). Eye protection mandatory, as all kinds of nasties will fly right at your face! ......OK, ignore what you just read. I mean it, never,ever try that. Play with it, un-kink your chain, and be safe.- :coolmad: I Do think Chuck Norris could pull it off, just say'in ;-P

Beetle-Kill said:
I really hate to say this, but in my experience, if you have a chain you can't get the loops out of, try this.- Add 4-6 more loops, and fit that 24" chain to a 16"bar. The "loops" act like oriental nanchucks, so nasty even Chuck Norris would back-off (and smile((a grim smile to be sure)). Eye protection mandatory, as all kinds of nasties will fly right at your face! ......OK, ignore what you just read. I mean it, never,ever try that. Play with it, un-kink your chain, and be safe.- :coolmad: I Do think Chuck Norris could pull it off, just say'in ;-P

Talking loops here. Sounds like your going loops. :roll: :lol:
Pretty funny Beetle, thanks for the laugh.

Well Chadw, it happens to everybody. As far as I know other than Fossil, none of us have that mathematical logic that we can give a step by step instruction for. Patience is the only easy answer I can give ya for success. ....And well sometimes a persons patience can only last so long, so keep it cool. :coolsmile: Good luck and we are pullin for ya.

Reminds me of when the female 1/2 of the population asks, "Does this dress make my ass look big?" I've found the best response is "No, your ass makes your ass look big" The pain is over quicker that way, and she'll learn to never ask again ;-)

Now, as to whether you are a dumb ass . . . .

Since loops come in pairs, if you have an odd number of loops then, YES, yer a Dumbhass!! You musta' let Jay near your saw, and he apparently took the chain apart and put it back together incorrectly!! :lol:

Lay the chain down on your workbench or ground for that matter and stretch it out, then untangle. Very simple. I've spent a half hour before trying to untangle a dangling chain.

ISeeDeadBTUs said:
Reminds me of when the female 1/2 of the population asks, "Does this dress make my ass look big?" I've found the best response is "No, your ass makes your ass look big" The pain is over quicker that way, and she'll learn to never ask again ;-)

Now, as to whether you are a dumb ass . . . .

Since loops come in pairs, if you have an odd number of loops then, YES, yer a Dumbhass!! You musta' let Jay near your saw, and he apparently took the chain apart and put it back together incorrectly!! :lol:

Huh what do you want a pic? if you have log as many hours as I have on saw's there not much that I haven't seen or learn the hard way. I could have a dozen chains in the truck at any given time.... odd #'s happen just like even #'s..And if you never seen it your either not counting(cant count) or just not that experienced.

Beetle-Kill said:
ummm. I don't think so. Chuck Norris cuts down whole forests of oak trees with one round-house kick. He's not scared of chainsaws or any other manmade devices.

Ok, so apparently I am the dumbhass . . . 'cause now I'm challengin' Jay . . .

Either a picture or a diagram of how you put an odd number of loops into a saw chain without 'breaking' the chain. Not denying you've logged more hours with the chain saw. But you've never seen odd #'s of loops on a complete chain either.

Yup, that there is a challenge :coolsmirk:

ISeeDeadBTUs said:

Either a picture or a diagram of how you put an odd number of loops into a saw chain without 'breaking' the chain.

I don't have a camera with me right now, so I will post it tonight! Oh and is there any money on the challenge? I need another 32in. rs chain..lol

this outta be good.

ISeeDeadBTUs said:

Either a picture or a diagram of how you put an odd number of loops into a saw chain without 'breaking' the chain. Not denying you've logged more hours with the chain saw. But you've never seen odd #'s of loops on a complete chain either.

Indiana vs. New York!

zap

zapny said:
ISeeDeadBTUs said:

Indiana vs. New York!

zap

Reggie raining 3- 3's for the win 9 sec. to go! I was at that game we almost left.

Not to get in the way of the boy's little spat but lay the chain on a flat surface. It makes it MUCH easier!

and, BTW, I've had 3 loops before.

Status
Not open for further replies.