Am I a Wood Nerd?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tfdchief

Minister of Fire
Nov 24, 2009
Tuscola, IL
myplace.frontier.com
I was moving some splits from the stacks to the wood shed and took this picture. I date the end of a couple of splits in each stack so I don't forget when they were put there. I don't have a lot of room, so I can't stack with any consistent order/place that would automatically tell me what to burn next.

Attachments

• Wood dated_2.jpg
    Wood dated_2.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 598
I am afraid that yes, you are a wood nerd. You are not alone.

tfdchief said:
I was moving some splits from the stacks to the wood shed and took this picture. I date the end of a couple of splits in each stack so I don't forget when they were put there. I don't have a lot of room, so I can't stack with any consistent order/place that would automatically tell me what to burn next.

tfdchief, nothing wrong with that. We all have our systems.

zap

tfdchief said:

I think that's a good idea cuz I can't remember sh*t lol.. I may do that myself..

Ray

If you frequent this site then, yes, you are a wood nerd. Embrace it.

raybonz said:
tfdchief said:

I think that's a good idea cuz I can't remember sh*t lol.. I may do that myself..

Ray

me also ;-P

loon

I would do that if I could remember to bring out the marker!

Just for info, I use a permanent black felt tip marker and it holds up well...wasn't sure the first time I did it whether it would or not, but it does. I can read it on 3 year old splits. I always mark a split in the middle of the stack so I always know where to look for it. It did get caught once when one of those splits was sticking up in the wood storage bin next to the stove and my grown daughter was here and noticed it....she laughed out loud even though she wasn't surprised....she knows her daddy pretty well. :cheese:

:lol: join the club....

Actually not a bad idea. I have the storage space so ... I don't do this, but it is not a bad idea at all.

Have you tried the wood burners color coding kit available at Walmart.com ?

Now if you start bar coding and scanning each split...

I do this too... My wood is marked up with X's, slashes and stars, each having it's own meaning. But I'm not a nerd...geek - certainly, but not a nerd. :)

Ok lets think about this; we talk about our wood, we take pictures of our wood, we obsess over wood and we do it all over a computer. We are all nerds, on so many levels. I am such a nerd if I was back in high school I would shove myself into a locker or give myself a wedgie.

just remember... alot of those nerds back in high school who were getting pushed into lockers and atomic wedgies are now running fortune 500 companies... keep marking your splits, great idea IMHO.

krex1010 said:
Ok lets think about this; we talk about our wood, we take pictures of our wood, we obsess over wood and we do it all over a computer. We are all nerds, on so many levels. I am such a nerd if I was back in high school I would shove myself into a locker or give myself a wedgie.

HAHA!!

It all seems perfectly normal to me!

you need a barcode printer and scanner. that would make you a wood nerd.

Permanent marker fades away for me to where it is barely readable in about two years.

I don't but if I had done this before I'd remember when that oldest wood was stacked. I say it is 6 or 7 years ago but it may have been 8....or maybe 9? Who cares when it gets to that stage anyway?!

I have quit stacking one year right next to the last year though but that is mainly because my main stacking area is now gone. Somebody built a barn there, but that barn is great!

billb3 said:
Permanent marker fades away for me to where it is barely readable in about two years.

Build yourself a branding iron??

RFID tags so that they can be scanned by size, weight and species. Connect the scanner to your PC so that you can sink up the wood to the weather forecast. Perfect load, each and every time.

Yeah - thats probably more "geek" than "nerd", now that I think of it.

I think you're perfectly normal and not a geek . . .

. . . of course this is coming from a guy whose wife tells him he is a geek . . . she says this with love though.

Attachments

• smallshed.jpg
    smallshed.jpg
    165.4 KB · Views: 234
Status
Not open for further replies.