Am I being unreasonable?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

briv

Oct 25, 2010
Connecticut
I'm the type of person that will take FOREVER to come to a decision on something but once I make that decision I want what I want and I want it NOW!

Well, the insert was one such decision. I found two that I liked, researched them both, look at them both in the showroom floor, measured at home, looked at them again, measured again, and again, and again. I finally pulled the trigger on the VC Montpelier and put a deposit. Now I'm like a kid on Christmas Eve just knowing that in a short time I will have the presents (or present) that I want.

Remeber when I said that once a decision is made I WANT IT NOW. The insert was ordered on October 29th and I was understanding of the 2-3 week install timeframe that I was given. Well we are into the 3rd week and I get a call last night that the install guys will be in my area on Dec. 9th!!

That is almost 6 WEEKS, double what I was told. I understand that this is a busy time for the stove companies but dangit I want it now and I'm mad.

Another reason I wanted the stove installed within 3 weeks is due to the fact that my gf's grandmother is visiting from California for Thanskgiving. I'd rather not keep the oil heat set at 75+ all week.

So, am I being unreasonable or do I need to be more understanding of their busy schedule?

I think you need to be a bit more understanding.... I did my reasearch and all the like as you but the difference is.....WAIT FOR IT..... I got installed in MAY !!! I knew that it was the slow season for the install and they would not rush and would make sure it was done correctly. Because of the time of the year, you need to be patient. The other issue...if you get snow... they may not be able to do it.... unless of course you clear off the area of the roof. Just a warning.

briv said:
I'm the type of person that will take FOREVER to come to a decision on something but once I make that decision I want what I want and I want it NOW!

Well, the insert was one such decision. I found two that I liked, researched them both, look at them both in the showroom floor, measured at home, looked at them again, measured again, and again, and again. I finally pulled the trigger on the VC Montpelier and put a deposit. Now I'm like a kid on Christmas Eve just knowing that in a short time I will have the presents (or present) that I want.

Remeber when I said that once a decision is made I WANT IT NOW. The insert was ordered on October 29th and I was understanding of the 2-3 week install timeframe that I was given. Well we are into the 3rd week and I get a call last night that the install guys will be in my area on Dec. 9th!!

That is almost 6 WEEKS, double what I was told. I understand that this is a busy time for the stove companies but dangit I want it now and I'm mad.

Another reason I wanted the stove installed within 3 weeks is due to the fact that my gf's grandmother is visiting from California for Thanskgiving. I'd rather not keep the oil heat set at 75+ all week.

So, am I being unreasonable or do I need to be more understanding of their busy schedule?

We had ours installed in the spring of 2009, he did ask if we wanted it installed in the fall but we chose the spring because the fall was his busy time. Have you contacted the company to see if they could push up the install for grandma.

zap

briv said:

The dealer's error was giving false expectations. Your error was waiting until the busy season to buy and install the stove. Be thankful they were able to fit you in before the ugly portion of winter begins. Next time get the dealer to agree to a specific date. That way if they do not meet that date you have some course of action.

Have to agree, waiting until peak season is always going to cost more and will likely meet delays as the weather turns foul. Hope you haven't waited to get wood too.

You aren't being unreasonable. You are just stuck.

Ordered our stove late Nov. last year and had a Christmas morning fire. Installer made sure I knew how lucky we were.
Wife baked M&M cookies for them.
I can certainly understand your anxiety.

You are not being unreasonable. You made a business deal with someone unable to deliver by the agreement. I hope you had the delivery date in writing. Call around even if you have to go to the next town over and you might find someone able to deliver sooner. Screw that guy.

What is unreasonable is for someone to say they are going to do something in ____ amount of time and then change later. that always seems sketchy to me. however in your case, peak season, late purchase i can see how the situation came to be, maybe you could offer to sweeten the pot for the guy if your that pressed for time...i mean i most likely wouldnt, (did mine myself) but its worth a try. otherwise i would go with try and find another installer, or a buddy or two and some beer for them. its not terribly hard to do.

I don't think you are being unreasonable.

Is your wood ready?

If it doesn't work out just get a blanket for granny and snuggle-up.

It is the holidays after all. Why not just enjoy being together and forget about the insert.

When it happens you will happy so get ready and have a good time with the family.

J.P.

It is very annoying to have to wait twice as long as you thought, but things come up and a courteous dealer would keep you informed of why things are being delayed. Alot of times these stove shops have little control of the delays, many use outside contractors to do the installs, so if they get backed up by weather or other jobs running long then the stove shops business gets backed up too, and another thing is that the dealers are also at the mercy of the manufacturers. VC may be backed up or slow getting the stove shipped out to the dealer. My install was held up for a month because PE was slow getting a door shipped to the shop I was dealing with, I got weekly calls from the shop explaining the delay so I was understanding, plus it was a spring install so there was no reason for me to rush them. These delays are out of your control and possibly out of your dealers control so just stay in contact with them and try to keep the blood pressure down! Good luck

Yeah I know I waited until the busy season. If I found this forum in the spring I would have been better informed and purchased one in the spring but I didn't, so I am where I am. I would wait until next spring but last winter it was just me in the house and I was gone 10+ hours a day and I still went through quite a bit of oil. Now my gf and son live with me and they shuffle around a 68 degree house complaining that they are cold so I need to supplement that oil consumption somehow.

I do have the wood, well some wood. Just over 1 well seasoned face cord with about another 1 1/2 cords with high 20% mc.

I dont' think I have the delivery date in writing, although it might be in the paper work at the house. I'll give the dealer a call and see if I can sweet talk him into bumping up the delivery date.

As you only have a couple of weeks worth of good wood, I wouldn't be too upset. You are going to find out the hard way that burning wet wood isn't much fun. You are better off saving your half-seasoned wood for next year and buring during the Christmas season and on special occasions.

Oh stop it. I dont like being promised something and being given something different, but stuff happens. How long have you lived without the insert? You can handle a couple more weeks. Sure, the dealer should have been smart and said "Well, its the busy time of the year, we'll shoot for 3 weeks but it may be 6" Or do what I do and just book a date on the calendar when I make the sale so its firm. You may be dealing with an excellent dealer who will give you a great installation but happens to have gotten in over his head with the scheduling. So before you stomp your feet like a 3 year old as per wahoo, maybe kindly explain your dissapointment and ask if they can compensate you a little. Hell, if I told a client 3 weeks and something caused it to take 6 and I felt a free tool set, hearth rug, etc would make them feel better..thats a small investment to make in order to leep a customer happy.

Forget turkey day and think about the xmass season, sitting in front of your new insert opening presents...unless you dont celebrate then think about something else.

That is a drag...but as pointed out, not much to do. I personally would call them, see if they can up the time, and if not, explain that you are a not happy and feel you should be somehow compensated with something like Franks noted above. I do not think it is too much to ask for something, and really the dealer should be better at guesstimating their install. The place that did our first one, over estimated...when they called, we wre tickled they got in ahead of schedule.

Last winter my buddy ordered a stove and it took two months to install. He used the same dealer I used, and they were on target with their install. He too was anxious, but they had budgeted enough time for slips that they did not promise something they could not deliver.

Work with the dealer and remember this is a long term investment...a few weeks will pass.

That is a drag...but as pointed out, not much to do. I personally would call them, see if they can up the time, and if not, explain that you are a not happy and feel you should be somehow compensated with something like Franks noted above. I do not think it is too much to ask for something, and really the dealer should be better at guesstimating their install. The place that did our first one, over estimated...when they called, we were tickled they got in ahead of schedule.

Last winter my buddy ordered a stove and it took two months to install. He used the same dealer I used, and they were on target with their install. He too was anxious, but they had budgeted enough time for slips that they did not promise something they could not deliver.

Work with the dealer and remember this is a long term investment...a few weeks will pass.

The delay would'nt bother me but Im more laid back than most people, my wife would be upset and I would have to calm her down. Then again I may try to get some freebie for the delay.

I've never been one that feels the need for instant gratification . . . and I'm pretty easy going and realize that when you're ordering something in the "busy season" there may be a delay . . . $hit happens sometimes . . . as long as no one dies there is no need to get too awful concerned about things.

That said, I understand some of the frustration -- trying to save money, expecting the stove to be delivered by a set date, etc.

As another member mentioned . . . I wouldn't worry too much . . . if the woodstove is set up by Christmas you should have it just in time for the really cold weather . . . where you will be happy to have the small amount of wood then . . . right now it would be useful . . . but the time when you will more fully appreciate the stove will be in late December and into January.

yes you are expecting too much....you waited.....remember it's a stove not a life support machine

briv said:

It's a bummer the wait is longer than expected, but then again, it's kinda expected! lol.

I finally made my decision last year and wanted it in December before the tax year ended, I found the dealer that had what I wanted IN STOCK and went down and got it and brought it home myself. Ordered the liner online and got the whole thing installed when I wanted. A bird in the hand... is the only way you know you are going to get the bird when you want it!

Alright I'm done with the whining. I ordered it late, I'll pay the consequences. The dealer was very apologetic and informed me that I would be contacted if there was a cancellation from someone else (fingers crossed). He stated that they would give me a refund on the deposit if I was not happy, heck no, that would just put me further behind on getting the stove. Besides I already pulled the permit with them as the install contractor so I'll just go play with my wood and wait.

You're not being unreasonable because the dealer provided you with a delivery schedule, then changed it. Dealer could have said 6 weeks, and you would have been unreasonable to demand 3 weeks, given that this is the busy season, but that is not what happened. If the date was uncertain, the dealer should have made that clear.

By the way, I am expecting my stove and outside air kit to be installed December 9, so if the installers don't show up here, I will know where they are - placating some unreasonable guy in Conneticut.

Unless your salesman is also running the install department you're always going to get this problem. Guys get sick, hurt, whatever. Stuff happens. It took three months for my stove to be delivered to me. It may not be the installer. It may be the manufacturer has over-extended themselves and now can't deliver. 50% of the time that's our problem at work.

briv said:

Good things are worth waiting for! Now you have more time to scroung for next years wood!

briv said:

YES: "unreasonable".

Status
Not open for further replies.