Am I blowing heat out the flue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jotul8e2

Minister of Fire
Feb 2, 2008
Ozarks
I have acquired a house with a Heat n Glo propane zero clearance gas log fireplace. The flue is a six inch protrusion right out the back behind the house. The combustion air appears to come from the bottom front of the fireplace, inside the house.

Question: So how much of the forced air heat in the house is going through the fireplace and out that 6" flue? I have been busy sealing cracks, adding insulation, and getting insulated window treatments; I just now got to looking at the insert. I don't need the fireplace for heat, and with the open floorplan any "space heating" heats the entire house; any function the fireplace might have would be purely decorative. If I am losing any of my expensive propane heat out that thing it is a liablility. Any help would be appreciated.

If its vented horizontal its not a "gas log". Its a fireplace. Need a model number. Looks under the fireplace for a silver rating tag. Also considering its vented horizontal and it is a 6" flue you should have a direct vent model, which does NOT pull combustion air from inside the room. It pulls it from the outer pipe on the double wall direct vent pipe.

So for your question, the answer should be none of your heated house air is going out the flue when you run the fireplace.

jtp10181 said:
If its vented horizontal its not a "gas log". Its a fireplace.

You say "potatoe"... Yes, yes, gas log fireplace, that's what I asked about.

OK, combustion air from outside. That would explain the rather odd looking vent. And why it is so large. Great!

Thank you!

jotul8e2 said:
jtp10181 said:
If its vented horizontal its not a "gas log". Its a fireplace.

<>You say "potatoe"... Yes, yes, gas log fireplace, that's what I asked about.<>

Potayto/ Potahto? There IS a difference.
A Gas Log is one thing.
A Gas Fire Place is a WHOLE different critter.
The FP will give you heat & burns gas rather efficiently.
The GL will suck heat AND MONEY out of your home....

Status
Not open for further replies.