Am I burning hot enough?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cricco

Mar 25, 2008
Western, Ma
My Newmac BC160 recently gave me quite a scare when I had a small chimney fire. I am now concerned about my burn temps. I have a magnetic Rutland thermometer on my flue pipe about 8 inches from the boiler, and about 2 inches below where the barometric damper opening is. I normally notice that my boiler will run at about 350-450 F. I have tried to get it hotter, and I can sometimes get it up to about 500. My question is, what should my temps be at, and what would be too hot? Am I going to cause any damage by trying to run it hot? Thank you for any advice.

I have a add on furnace by Monarch and I struggle to get my flue temp to stay in the 200-250 reading. i'm new to wood burning, I have tied differant draft settings but I am not having any luck getting the temp up. It worries me to burn at these temps.

I'm curious... is a magnetic thermometer as accurate as one that has a probe. Maybe you're getting hotter temps than the magnet is reading? Seems the probe would give you a better reading. Just a thought, someone on this board should know.

flyingcow said:
I'm curious... is a magnetic thermometer as accurate as one that has a probe. Maybe you're getting hotter temps than the magnet is reading? Seems the probe would give you a better reading. Just a thought, someone on this board should know.
According to Dirk Thomas, in his book "The Woodburner's Companion" (3rd edition, p. 54)
http://www.hoodbooks.com/proddetail.asp?prod=0911469281&cat=2
wrt stove pipe thermometer's:
"the surface temperature it measures is a bit more than half the flue gas temperature."

Status
Not open for further replies.