Amazing Oak

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

golfandwoodnut

Minister of Fire
I just got back from a vacation in Hilton Head SC. It is one of the most beautiful places we ever go to. They save as many trees as possible and commercial businesses cannot have a sign larger than what seems to be 6X6. In fact it is hard to find places, I could not even find a grocery store the one time because it was so hidden. In Palmetto Dunes plantation, what I think is the MOST beautiful place we were on a bike ride and came upon this tree in the front yard of someones house. I am sure all of us would have cut it down and put it out of its misery, but down there it is a work of art. It is amazing this tree is still thriving. Also notice these are called Living Oaks and the leaves are nothing like us Northerners are used to. They lose leaves but just regrow another set. Also notice the spanish moss (which I found out is not moss nor is it spanish).
hhoak.jpg

Here is another angle:
hhoak2.jpg

Yeah live oaks/living oaks are pretty cool. As they get older the branches get swoopy (is that even a word). Apparently good to burn, but a PITA to split.

I think the US Constitution ( old iron side) was made of live Oak!

allhandsworking said:
I think the US Constitution ( old iron side) was made of live Oak!

It may have been at one time (I never heard that but I'm not going to completely overlook the possibility), but it's now made of white oak. Any replanking that they do is done with white oak harvested from "Constitution Grove" located as Naval Surface Warfare Center, Crane, IN. I have had the pleasure of viewing the living white oaks in person; and I can view them any time I want to (it's where I work).

ETA, after a bit of research I was partially incorrect. There was a little live oak used on the Constitution and to this day they still use it for repairs. But, because it's not commercially available it comes in the way of donations.

Invention and Technology magazine did an article on the "stealth technology" used on the Consitution (and other ships of the era) and one of the pieces of old time stealth tech was the use of live oak as they would cut curved components out of it rather then bulding up sections which makes a stonger boat. There was also some odd internal bracing used, that was inadvertently removed during one renovation and subsequently replaced later on.

peakbagger said:
Invention and Technology magazine did an article on the "stealth technology" used on the Consitution (and other ships of the era) and one of the pieces of old time stealth tech was the use of live oak as they would cut curved components out of it rather then building up sections which makes a stronger boat. There was also some odd internal bracing used, that was inadvertently removed during one renovation and subsequently replaced later on.
I have also see The Morgan whaling ship in Mistic Connecticut. They have huge pieces of live oak in the ship yard for repairs. That ships first voyage filled its hold in a few weeks it's last voyage circumnavigated the earth took years and had trouble keeping crew! From what I remember. It is really amazing what wonders trees can give us!

thats one nice place to visit, cant wait to go back again soon, pete

Attachments

• DSC_0158_2.jpg
    DSC_0158_2.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 480
allhandsworking said:
peakbagger said:
Invention and Technology magazine did an article on the "stealth technology" used on the Consitution (and other ships of the era) and one of the pieces of old time stealth tech was the use of live oak as they would cut curved components out of it rather then building up sections which makes a stronger boat. There was also some odd internal bracing used, that was inadvertently removed during one renovation and subsequently replaced later on.
I have also see The Morgan whaling ship in Mistic Connecticut. They have huge pieces of live oak in the ship yard for repairs. That ships first voyage filled its hold in a few weeks it's last voyage circumnavigated the earth took years and had trouble keeping crew! From what I remember. It is really amazing what wonders trees can give us!

My wife and I are thinking about going to Mystic next month . . . she wants to go down and visit her mother and brother and we're making it a mini-vacation. I've never been there . . . she has . . . she says it's pretty neat.

sorry didnt mean to highjack this post! Back to SC HH check out the Old Fort Pub great rest. in a historic building that was a post office during the Civil War. Or "the war of northern aggression as they call it"!

Status
Not open for further replies.