American Wood Fiber or Presto Logs

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

brihvac

Feb 20, 2011
North Wilmington, DE
I already have a ton of Pennigton's (I know) <--newbie here. I want to pick up about 20 or so more bags. Local place has American Wood Fiber and Presto logs. Which ones do you guys recommend?

20 bags is such a small amount, I'd just split the order so you can try each for yourself. AWF would get the clean(lower ash amount) edge.

I have heard mixed reviews with the Penningtons. But you could be surprises. Some say they have made improvements.

I have burned both. AWF's are a good pellet. I got a bad batch of them last yr. The avg pellet length was about 2". With some reaching 3". Other than that 1 ton, the others have been good.

Presto Logs are also pretty good. They are a blend pellet. Hardwood and Conifer. Very dark pellet.

Best bet is to try before you buy. Penningtons are a bottom of the barrel pellet. BUT......

I just seen the other day that a guy is selling an "All Oak" Pennington. Much different than the Natures Heat that I have burned. The bags were completely different. I almost thought about buying some of them. He had like 8 ton on Craiglist to sell. Never seen them before. He wants $200/ton.

Every stove and set-up is different. What works for one, may not work for another. This is my personal experience. Yours may differ.

I'm probley only going to burn a ton this year. I got the Pennigton's in spring. $100 for a ton. I was at Walmart and spotted the pallet back in the garden center. I burnt a bag and heat was good. As far as ash... I dont know whats normal, I have never had a stove before. I think I will get 10 bags of presto logs and 15 bags of AWF

I have burnt AWFs starting on my third season. Living in SW Virginia they are the most readily available, they have a manufacturing facility 30-40 miles from my home. They have done very well for me.

Picked up 15 bags of AWF and 10 bags of Presto-logs. I should now have plenty to get me through the season ( 1 and a half ton). Im going to finish burning the bag of Penningtons and then try one of the others to compare. I have a question. As I stated I have never had a stove before. When the burn pot fills with ash, will the new pellets push the ash out and into the ash pan or do you have to stop the stove and scrape out the burn pot into the ash pan.

1.5 ton will not get you through the winter. 3 ton is a minimum. With 4-5 ton being more realistic.

The stove will kepp burning and push the ash over the edge. This is if you have your stovr burning correctly. Should not have to scrape the pot on a Harman everyday.

brihvac said:
Picked up 15 bags of AWF and 10 bags of Presto-logs. I should now have plenty to get me through the season ( 1 and a half ton). Im going to finish burning the bag of Penningtons and then try one of the others to compare. I have a question. As I stated I have never had a stove before. When the burn pot fills with ash, will the new pellets push the ash out and into the ash pan or do you have to stop the stove and scrape out the burn pot into the ash pan.

IMHO the only time you'll need to shut it down is for full cleanings. You can open the door quickly to do a pot scrape. Shouldn't hurt a thing. Yes with the bottom feeders the new fuel will push out the old ash. The reason for scraping is to keep the air holes clean. Follow the clean schudule in your manual. A clean stove is a happy stove(and more efficient too).

Keep us posted on how you like pellet heating.

DexterDay said:
1.5 ton will not get you through the winter. 3 ton is a minimum. With 4-5 ton being more realistic.

The stove will kepp burning and push the ash over the edge. This is if you have your stovr burning correctly. Should not have to scrape the pot on a Harman everyday.

I only plan on burning from the time I get home till I go to bed and on the week ends. The local Lowes said they always have plenty on hand and the price does'nt change. I like the look of a burning fire, but I do not use it as my primary heat. I just installed a new 95% 2 stage, variable speed gas heater that sips gas along with a 20 seer 2 stage AC unit. My future wife (getting married Friday) loves the stove because it keeps the downstairs in the mid 70's compared to the 68 degrees I keep it when I run my heater. This will be a learning year for me. I would have no room for more than 2 tons. She complains about the ton and a half I have in the basement now.

Congrats on the wedding. I have a Trane XP-90 thats only a few yrs old. Although I do use LP (big difference) I thought I was gonna reduce my consumption, but I eliminated my LP consumption all together.

Better to save a little money then NO money. Again, Congrats on the wedding! Love my Wife to death. She loves me with all her heart and puts up with my Wood/Wood Pellet stove addiction!!!!!

Im actually looking forward to it getting cold. After a few weeks of burning I will be able to tell how much pellets I will go through.

brihvac said:
She complains about the ton and a half I have in the basement now.

She wont once she feels the pellet heat. Plus the cash your saving! Make sure you take her on pellet hunts. Once she is also addicted, You'll be good to go! :)

We did explain the pellet addiction, didn't we??? :cheese:

brihvac said:
DexterDay said:

I only plan on burning from the time I get home till I go to bed and on the week ends. The local Lowes said they always have plenty on hand and the price does'nt change. I like the look of a burning fire, but I do not use it as my primary heat. I just installed a new 95% 2 stage, variable speed gas heater that sips gas along with a 20 seer 2 stage AC unit. My future wife (getting married Friday) loves the stove because it keeps the downstairs in the mid 70's compared to the 68 degrees I keep it when I run my heater. This will be a learning year for me. I would have no room for more than 2 tons. She complains about the ton and a half I have in the basement now.

They may always be on hand but the price DOES change....Anywhere from $197-$300 a ton!

IHATEPROPANE said:
brihvac said:
DexterDay said:

They may always be on hand but the price DOES change....Anywhere from $197-$300 a ton!

Anyone that would pay $300 a ton is crazy. It would cost more to buy pellets than to run my heater. My gas bill is only $100 a month when its real cold. There are tons of places around me that carry pellets. I would just shop around. I have never seen Lowes or Home Depot around here raise their prices on stuff like that. They either have it or dont.

brihvac said:
IHATEPROPANE said:
brihvac said:
DexterDay said:

Anyone that would pay $300 a ton is crazy. It would cost more to buy pellets than to run my heater. My gas bill is only $100 a month when its real cold. There are tons of places around me that carry pellets. I would just shop around. I have never seen Lowes or Home Depot around here raise their prices on stuff like that. They either have it or dont.

At $300 a ton I would still save about 3 grand a year as opposed to propane.

IHATEPROPANE said:
brihvac said:
IHATEPROPANE said:
brihvac said:
DexterDay said:

At $300 a ton I would still save about 3 grand a year as opposed to propane.

Me too.... $300 x 4 ton = $1,200.. Or $4,000 a yr in LP... I will stick with pellets... Now if I had Nat Gas, that would be a different story. But where I live (Think Boonies) I wont see Nat Gas in my lifetime.

I would hate to be you guys. That is a lot of money. My Dad has propane and he goes through 1200 gallons a year. He is paying $3.25 a gallon. He is in the Boonies

Thats a year. Cooking, heat, hot water, dryer, and whole house generator. I think thats cheap. If it was just heat I would agree. But......

Was using 1400 gal of Propane. At $3.65 per gal. That's over $5k. Now I only use 400 gal a year for hot water, dryer and cook top. Use my pellet stove as a primary heater. Saving over $3k a year using pellets vs. propane. It's a no brainer. The house is a fantastic 72 degrees on the main level and 66 in the bedrooms. So it's a little inconvenient. For $3k, I don't mind. And by the way the pellet addiction only gets worse. The wife is infected also. Begged me to move the pellets into the garage this year. Doesn't mind the space lost.

brihvac said:
lol, no. Although he does lose power all the time.

I bet he spends $3000 of the $3900 on heat. Cooking and hot water is not a lot....I use <200 gallons. Not sure what a dryer and occasional generator would be but probably not that much.

I used to go through 3-4 tanks a yr (500 gal) ... Spent almsot $4,000 a yr. This November will be 2 yrs since my last fill and I have 50%. We do not use the LP furnace (Trane XV-90) anymore. Only use LP for cooking. So about 100-125 gallons a yr for cooking. Thats all I have thats LP besides the furnace. An electric stove would take my usage to 0%. But I hate electric stoves. I am a Pyro at heart.

3-4 tanks a yr. Now down to 1 tank every 4 yrs. With a savings every yr about $3,000!!!! I am never going to give this up. I just installed my Dads 25-PDV this weekend... He is so excited. After watching my savings over the yrs, he had to have one... He got the sickness too.. I doubt he will become a member ( old school ) , but he may...

I am sure I am not the only one here that has a half-dozen or a dozen buddies that all have Woodstoves or Pellet stoves. And yet none will join. Rather watch TV and movies...

Status
Not open for further replies.