amtrak and wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

maverick06

Minister of Fire
Sep 27, 2008
media, pa
probably more frustrating than anything else.

I take the train between Wilmington De and Washington DC frequently. Amtrak does a great job keeping the tracks clear. There is always a tree-mendous amount of wood (tree trunks) just left at the edge of the railroad's right-of-way. I have no idea what amtrak's policy is on the wood, its moot anyways, as I wouldnt be in a position to bring it home.

Its simply massive volumes of wood along the tracks. A lot espically near Baltimore. The areas the train goes through in baltimore are horribly depressed and could surely use the fuel... however, I suspect the people would have no interest in taking the wood, otherwise it would have happened regardless of Amtrak's policy.

A lot of fuel going to waste.

Many times it is not Amtrack itself. Whomever owns the tracks, it may or may not be Amtrack, sprays the heck out of them with an Herbicide. I know because I have been applying and training others on applying herbicides for years.

Anyway, more often than not the electrical utility runs its ROW either on or next to the railroad. Many electrical companies are doing a bang up job of reclaiming their ROW because of the cost of power outages from the govt, (the do actually pay a fine when the power goes out). Do you remember a few years back the huge power outage that happened in NY city? That was apparently because of a tree branch in Ohio, I think it was Ohio. So after that incident a vast majority of the electrical companies have really focused on clear cutting their ROW. Bringing it down to grass. I can easily see this happening in PA and in NJ. I would venture to guess that is what you are seeing along that railroad ROW.

Amtrak probably has the right to keep their tracks clear, but not the right to give away the wood. it isnt their wood after all. Kind of a moot point since you have to drive many miles onto someone else's property to retrieve the wood.

Constrictor said:
Amtrak probably has the right to keep their tracks clear, but not the right to give away the wood. it isnt their wood after all. Kind of a moot point since you have to drive many miles onto someone else's property to retrieve the wood.

Nope, who ever owns the tracks most likely also owns the land. In general, RRs do not lease land like some electrical companies do, they own it. This is why they can nuke what they own with herbicides and keep it barren rocks. But as you said it is a moot point.

Around these parts csx owns the tracks...and has right away over amtrak.

I know the area in baltimore you speak of. Yes very depressing. However very very few wood burners down there. Shame you cant see the countryside of MD, pretty and loads of wood burners. Lots of nice hardwoods too.

interesting, in the grand scheme of things its minor, but it seems like the resources could be better allocated. Of course, an uninformed woodburner might/is likely worse than non-wood burner. But if I lived near the tracks I might be interested in reallocating some of those resources...

Status
Not open for further replies.