An awesome neighbor

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Skier76

Minister of Fire
Apr 14, 2009
CT and SoVT
We have some really good neighbors up in VT. They live behind our house, up a long driveway. Part of their driveway boarders the stone wall that's the edge of our property.

Awhile back, a tree from our property started to lean over their driveway. One of their daughter's noticed it one day when she left for school. This was in the middle of the week, so we weren't around. My neighbor went out, and cut the treet down. bucked it up and left the wood next to his driveway. He saw us outside the next weekend, stopped and let us know what he did. My wife and I were thankful since A) we weren't around and B) I hadn't purchased my saw yet. We drove up to their house and gave the parents a bottle of wine. I get to talking. Turns out, he has more trees he wants to take down...and doesn't need the wood. "Did you buy wood yet? No, good....you can take what we cut." So he and I (probably more towards the fall) will cut down some trees on their land and I'll bring it over to our place to season until next year.

Fast forward to this weekend. We get up to VT and there's a pile of wood right near my stacks. He had split the wood, loaded it in his truck and unloaded it near my stacks. Awesome.

Cliffs: A tree on our land half falls over our neighbors driveway, neighbor cuts tree, splits wood and gives it to me. Offers me more firewood in the future.

Attachments

• VTWood.jpg
    VTWood.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 510
One act of kindness begets another which begets another . . .

I gave away some of my well seasoned apple wood a few weeks back to my Amish neighbor . . . figure it was just a small payback for the pig roast that they invited all the neighbors to last Fall . . . not to mention the fact that thanks to them I don't have to worry about the fields across from me being turned into a subdivision.

Good neighbors for both of you. That is great!

My good neighbor came over the other day with has pickup over half full of wood. It had obviously been cut for years. It wasn't the best wood, but it was dry and I didn't have to cut it. He then said he had a few trees blown over in a storm the other day. He had drug them up with his tractor for me to cut. "Don't worry about the brush, I'll take care of it. Thanks for cuttin it up."
Just finished loading up the last one. Looks like about 1.5-2 cords of dead dry ash.

That should do you well Jeff.

One good turn deserves another.
Glad you are developing a great relationship with the neighbours!
Happy burning.

I didn't get to see the parents this weekend. Well, once...but it was after 8PM and we were sitting by the firepit when one of them drove by...we waved.

I called them yesterday and left a message thanking them for the wood. I didn't want them to think we didn't appreciate it. Hopefully, I'll see them this weekend and get to thank them face to face.

I saw the title of this thread and had to post.... Monday afternoon we had a severe storm that included a "Macroburst" (a weather term for a really strong burst of wind). Caused significant damage in the area including knocking down a big maple tree that was standing about 20 feet from the house. Lucky for us the tree fell parallel to the house, taking out a magnolia tree with it landing across my driveway, blocking us from getting the cars out. That evening, I got the saw running and started cutting. As I'm cutting I notice nieghbors starting to help pull the cut limbs away. Ended up having 4 guys helping, in addition to my 2 daughters. We got the driveway cleared before stopping for the evening. No way I could have gotten it all done w/o the help. Then yesterday afternoon I start cutting up the tree for firewood and carting it to my splitting area in the back yard. Two different guys walk over and tell me - "you cut, we will move it". They stayed until I was done cutting and all the wood was moved.

We are lucky to live in an area with good people around us. I love being outdoors and working so I am always helping out folks here so that may have been a part of it too, them knowing I have done it for them in the past and would gladly do it again. It is a nice feeling to know that people are there for you when you can use the help.

Be sure to upgrade your neighbor from a bottle of wine to a case.

Status
Not open for further replies.