An oil stove never heard of this

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
jmcp said:
Site claims this is the cheapest form of heat approx $750 to heat ones house all year with no hauling pellets.
Anyone know anything about these?.

http://www.medfordfuel.com/monitorheaters/monitor_stoves.htm

There are a lot of monitors installed all over the northeast.

But the second anyone makes the claim that they are cheaper than any other source of heat including wood I'd tend to cross them off the list.

They are like any heating device, they only get that efficiency if maintained and even then a BTU is a BTU. Find a fuel cost comparison calculator, plug in the numbers for your case and see how things work out.

That all having been said they are good heating units.

haven't seen those yet,,, but about 3 years ago I installed a WVO,(waste vegetable oil) heater in a small warehouse we have at work. We generate about 75 gallons of used oil that we fry chicken in every 10 days or so and the company I bought the heater from also sells units set up to be used as a home furnace. (one of my service guys has one in his house and loves it....gets free oil from restaurants, HVAC guy, and from oil changes. as the unit will burn just about anything as long as you filter it.) the one I got is 150,000 btu's and runs great now that we got all of the bugs worked out of it. it has already paid for itself, and now we have "free" heat all winter long in that space.
I would really be interested if they made a unit just like the one you show that uses waste oil...... that would be really, really interesting.

John

Monitor/Toyo stoves are fairly common here in AK. They are designed for "room" heat. If you had a 16x20 cabin for example where everything is in one room it would work great. Or would be fine in a workshop/garage.

I suppose you could heat a whole house the same way you can heat it with a wood stove, but some rooms would get kind of cold. When it gets in the -5 or colder temps I usually have to kick on the boiler heat for the back bedrooms as they will get to the low 60s while it's 75 in "great" room where the stove is.

Status
Not open for further replies.