And the woodpile is going down fast . . .

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

snowleopard

Minister of Fire
Dec 9, 2009
We've had an extended cold snap here, and the height of the wood in my racks is dropping at an alarming rate.

Walked out to my backup pile of birch where I have a cord, cord-and-a-half, and brought three pieces in to check the MC. Split them and they tested at 15-16%, better than I hoped for as that was sitting out in the rain for an extended stretch this summer. That eases my mind. I figure we've got nine solid weeks of potential hard winter left, a mere 63 days. I got this.

Good to hear the backup plan is in place and a bonus that it is better than hoped for Snow. Spring is just around the corner.

Hi Snow
We have had the same cold snap.
First two rows lasted about a month exactly.
Started the third row on the 19th,and it's down to the last third,might last to the 7th.
I have a backup pile of about 30 cords,all in tree length,hopefully my stack will last.
Hope you make it till spring.
Thomas

Stay warm up there! Down in the lower States most are having a really mild winter. I see 2 or 3 more days of 40 degrees are forecast for us this week. It is snowing at present and in the 20's.

expecting a cold wet summer after this warm wet winter, not even ice on most ponds around here in northeastern MA

Thirty cords in reserve ought to get you through! :lol: I see clouds on the southern horizon, so maybe we've got a break in the weather. I ought to go to town today, but am dreading driving through the ice fog.

Our most beautiful summers follow long cold winters, so I'd say we're due up.

We're working at it, Dennis. Appreciate all the support here--the words of encouragement help me keep things in perspective when there's a 100-degree spread between indoors and outdoors.

Backwoods Savage said:
Stay warm up there! Down in the lower States most are having a really mild winter. I see 2 or 3 more days of 40 degrees are forecast for us this week. It is snowing at present and in the 20's.

you send some of that snow over to the NY Metro area Dennis. Have not had a single snow day this school year. That aint right for the little ones, they count on those days. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.