And yet another genny question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bank

Feeling the Heat
Nov 27, 2008
S. Maine
I have an 8,000W Generac with a manual transfer switch for my house. I do NOT use this for my Harman Accentra. I do have the oil fired furnace on the genny, so I won't freeze.

My question is that I have a B&S 2,000W Interter (P2000) which says it is safe for TVs and other sensitve electronics, it claims to have less than 3% total harmonic distortion, is this safe for my Harman and do I need anything else between the stove and the generator?

I would go ahead and back it up with a surge protector which you should already have connected to the stove anyway. I would guess the generac would be ok but I have no doubt the inverter genny will be great. One benefit to the inverter genny on the stove is you could probably run a couple lights so the house is lit enough no one trips over anything and the stove to stay warm through the night. This would limit the run time on the big generator which drinks fuel like a fish compared to the 2kw.

A pellet stove will only need about 200-250 watts to operate. If you use an ignitor the consumption will ioncrease. I have a spare 15 fin ignitor and it saws something like 306 watts on the bag. I plan on running mine if manual if the power went out to save capacity on the generator. If will run at a lower rpm and be quiter..

Thanks for the input. I have a surge protector on the pellet stove.

What model 8000 watt Generac do you have? There are the GP,XG and the XP. The XP has Tru Power Technology which means Power company quality being produced when running. I have a 12,000 watt XP and with the frankinstorm we just had I ran the whole house(Plasma TV and surround sound, Computer and pellet stove) with out any complaints from the genny. I do run the power to the pellet stove through a Cyberpower 1500 AVR U.P.S. Just in case
Jim H

Reactions: jtakeman
Wish I had the XP, I have the GP, it's a little loud but hell I don't care. It pretty much runs my whole house except the TVs and computers. I'm not worried about the pellet stove for heat because the Generace will run the oil furnace, well pump, microwave, fridge and a few lights so I'm good, but I would like to run the pellet stove, but wouldn't dare put it on the Generac GP.

Status
Not open for further replies.