and yet another wood ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shawneyboy

Minister of Fire
Oct 5, 2010
NE PA
pic of bark and grain.... Bark is thin and has what I would call pimples....

I know its probably obvious but it is the pimples that got me....

Attachments

• bark.jpg
    bark.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 403
  • grain.jpg
    grain.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 460
Looks like blue beech

Well that would be sweet if thats the case..... Nice BTU... better than my Oak... Any other members with an ID on this sucker ?

Your pic's are Bad lol........can you post a few thats not so close? Still beech.LOL

smokinjay said:
Your pic's are Bad lol........can you post a few thats not so close? Still beech.LOL

I will take some more on Tuesday....

Probably beech, but could be hackberry. Both can have the pronounced lenticels (pimples). Hackberry more so than beech under normal growing conditions. If the coloring of the wood is correct, then I would lean more towards beech.

Just looking at the picture again of the bark I've thought of a couple more less desirable species it could be. Alianthus or Mimosa. I've never seen either one split so can't compare to your split picture. Hopefully not either on of those.

Is the wood light or heavy. Alianthus will also have a smell to it, at least in the branches. I think it smells sort of like peanut butter.

nonetheless said:
Probably beech, but could be hackberry. Both can have the pronounced lenticels (pimples). Hackberry more so than beech under normal growing conditions. If the coloring of the wood is correct, then I would lean more towards beech.

Just looking at the picture again of the bark I've thought of a couple more less desirable species it could be. Alianthus or Mimosa. I've never seen either one split so can't compare to your split picture. Hopefully not either on of those.

Is the wood light or heavy. Alianthus will also have a smell to it, at least in the branches. I think it smells sort of like peanut butter.

I know it is NOT Alianthus, As I look in my field guide at the bark it does seem to be Beech. I will post a better pic, but I am thinking Blue Beech !!!

I think it's hackberry as well.
joe

I think we need a better picture.

blue beech should be very muscley looking - although I'm assuming by blue beech smoking jay is referring to hornbeam/ironwood/ Carpinus caroliniana

Beech

Status
Not open for further replies.