and yet another wood id....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shawneyboy

Minister of Fire
Oct 5, 2010
NE PA
Attached are pics of bark, rings (70 year old 18 inch tree), and split, as well as my thoughts on what it is, but.... I will let the resident experts confirm it for me.

Attachments

• stringy.jpg
    stringy.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 408
  • barke.jpg
    barke.jpg
    164.1 KB · Views: 401
  • rings.jpg
    rings.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 405
  • elmer-fudd1.gif
    elmer-fudd1.gif
    3.8 KB · Views: 405
My guess too. Shagbark & Shellbark is already separating into those loose shaggy plates before its this big.

Attachments

• shagbark 12.jpg
    shagbark 12.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 352
  • shagbark 10.jpg
    shagbark 10.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 354
if you'd only posted the first pic, I'd have said mozzarella.

Battenkiller said:
I'll bite. Looks like bitternut hickory to me.

Bitter nut pignut the same? looks like pignut to me!

smokinjay said:
Battenkiller said:

According to all my books they're 2 separate trees. Can be similar with bark & leaves sometimes though.Nuts are smaller & not very good to eat either what others have told me.I'm happy to scrounge a 3 gallon bucket worth of shagbark nuts every Fall before the rodents do! ;-P Damn good eating,bake them in bread/cookies or toss a few in your morning cereal.

smokinjay said:
Battenkiller said:

Pignut is the same as "smoothbark". Bitternut is a different critter.

Thistle said:
smokinjay said:
Battenkiller said:

According to all my books they're 2 separate trees. Can be similar with bark & leaves sometimes though.Nuts are smaller & not very good to eat either what others have told me.I'm happy to scrounge a 3 gallon bucket worth of shagbark nuts every Fall before the rodents do! ;-P Damn good eating,bake them in bread/cookies or toss a few in your morning cereal.

Sounds up my ally, will watch for some this fall. After doing 100 gallons of walnuts..lol :lol:

I was going with a Hickory just didn't know which one, or an ELM (elmer Fudd) because of the stringy splits.

FYI....

Bitternut Hickory sometimes called "Pignut" .................. is Carya cordiformis....
Pignut Hickory sometimes called "Smoothbark Hickory" ...is Carya glabra....

Hence why common names sometimes suck.

Shawn

Pignut in my book because I cut up about a 1/2 cord of that this year. Stringy!! Almost looks chippy like cherry yet sort like ash furrows. But the nice white meat and dark heartwood is what mine looked like.

A nut or leaf will tell, I've seen Shagbark around hear look just like that.

WB

WOODBUTCHER said:

WB

Tree has been down since before leaf out, I am just cleaning up what the crews left behind. Either way it'll burn.

Shawn

shawneyboy said:
WOODBUTCHER said:

WB

Tree has been down since before leaf out, I am just cleaning up what the crews left behind. Either way it'll burn.

Shawn

Either way:
It's heavy
It's dense
It will burn real nice
It will smell good that hickory

I have a half cord of shagbark and pignut left over from 2007, I'm saving it for JAN/FEB 2011..........

WB

WOODBUTCHER said:
...I have a half cord of shagbark and pignut left over from 2007, I'm saving it for JAN/FEB 2011...WB

Wow. You're planning to take a half cord of firewood back in time. Pics or it didn't happen! %-P Rick

Aww man, I will never forget memorial day weekend 2007. And I consider us the luckiest SOB's to get 2 grapple loads that year that was mostly Hickory.......about 80%.
We still had 4 cord of it in log form left over that we split in Feb. 2008 that we shared for 2009-2010

Well here's some old pics and we were all tired after that wood massacre .
I have about 1/2 cord of that stuff left stacked in the back of my rack. Otherwise my stove chow is mostly Ash, Cherry and red Maple.

WoodButcher

Attachments

• DSC_0225.jpg
    DSC_0225.jpg
    200.9 KB · Views: 168
  • DSC_0235.jpg
    DSC_0235.jpg
    211.4 KB · Views: 149
  • DSC_0222.jpg
    DSC_0222.jpg
    215.1 KB · Views: 161
  • DSC_6414.jpg