Another bug screws me!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

egclassic

Feeling the Heat
Jan 1, 2011
SW Ohio
First it was the Emerald Ash Borer, now theres a "new" tree destroying beatle around here, prohibiting us from transporting firewood from adjacent counties. Problem is, most of the wood I cut is two counties away. I have not heard what the penalties are if caught transporting. Any one else have this problem where you live?

Wouldn't the EAB have already stopped you from transporting any wood anyway?

Not really, (legally yes), but obviously county lines don't stop the bug from migrating on its own! Two trees standing next to one another but in different counties, one has the beatle, one does not. The beatle flies, jumps, or swims to the next tree and now its in the next county.

BrotherBart said:
Wouldn't the EAB have already stopped you from transporting any wood anyway?

EAB is so widespread around here that the whole lower peninsula is one big quarantine zone.

egclassic, the last I heard the quarantine was in two townships only and not the entire county. Did they expand it recently?

fv

I hope they can get it stoped and you don't transport questionable wood. My kids will live in a barren desert with no trees if these bugs keep spreading.

egclassic said:
Not really, (legally yes), but obviously county lines don't stop the bug from migrating on its own! Two trees standing next to one another but in different counties, one has the beatle, one does not. The beatle flies, jumps, or swims to the next tree and now its in the next county.

Just thought I should point out that the BeAtles are the British rock group- the ones from Liverpool.

BeEtles are bugs.

Didn't want to get Apple Records on your case.

CTYank said:
egclassic said:

Just thought I should point out that the BeAtles are the British rock group- the ones from Liverpool.

BeEtles are bugs.

Im glad you are there to correct my grammer.

fireview2788 said:
egclassic, the last I heard the quarantine was in two townships only and not the entire county. Did they expand it recently?

fv

Not sure. I thought it was county wide. I heard they are in Clermont but not sure about Hamilton or Brown.

egclassic said:
...Im glad you are there to correct my grammer.

You need an apostrophe after the capital "I" to make "I'm", and there is no "e" in grammar. Just thought I'd help. %-P Rick

:lol: :lol: :lol: Chalk one up for Rick!

egclassic said:
CTYank said:
egclassic said:

BeEtles are bugs.

Not my mission in life, but as Derek Jeter says in current commercial "Good enough is just not good enough."

Now, maybe you're thinking about the actor Kelsey Grammer, vice "grammar" which is irrelevant here.

Sense of humor a definite plus.

egclassic said:

Spelling, not grammar. We have other members who monitor grammar, no extra charge. As you can see by perusing the board, like most volunteers, they work when and where they wish, and leave the messy stuff for the professionals.

Up here, it's the spruce beetle (kids call it the pincher beetle, and if one lands on you, the common response is to grab the surprised creature by an antenna and send it spinning) going after the spruce; the eastern larch beetle going after the tamarack (in some areas in the Interior, half the tamarack was wiped out in one two-year period); and the invasive gypsy moth going after the birch trees. Sad sight to be in areas where these creatures are having their way with the trees.

I follow your logic about the creatures spreading with no respect to county, state, or national boundary lines, but the prohibition on transport is only one of the management strategies being used for insect control. Cutting stumps short, managing slash, taking down diseased or infested trees, and other recommendations are part of the fight to save the trees. Having seen the damage these insects can do, I think it's imperative that we all educate ourselves and our children about what we can do to help. Now if I can just persuade my son that the woodpecker who wakes him up by hammering just under the metal roof on the wall above his bedroom is our friend . . .

[lives dangerously, does not run spell check]

CTYank said:
egclassic said:
CTYank said:
egclassic said:

BeEtles are bugs.

Not my mission in life, but as Derek Jeter says in current commercial "Good enough is just not good enough."

Now, maybe you're thinking about the actor Kelsey Grammer, vice "grammar" which is irrelevant here.

Sense of humor a definite plus.

While a sense of humor is a definite plus, you sir, are a know-it-all. Not everything that is posted in this forum must be corrected by you. However, I suppose misspelling beetle pales in comparison to your previous correction of the use of the term "great room":

""Not to be a buzz kill, but that does not look like a great room to me, just a living room next to the kitchen. Great rooms are usually much more open than that, like if the kitchen was part of the room instead of the door way and the 'window' into the kitchen, and even that would barely do it. In my book, it need to be more of a living room, kitchen and dining room that are wide open except for a few columns - or not. They usually have vaulted ceilings too...''

Please do not let this thread get out of hand so that BB closes it. As far as that goes, please keep all post civil. Let's be friendly.

fossil said:
egclassic said:
...Im glad you are there to correct my grammer.

You need an apostrophe after the capital "I" to make "I'm", and there is no "e" in grammar. Just thought I'd help. %-P Rick

... and correcting "beatles" to "beetles" is spelling, not grammar.

Here to help.

All meant in fun, not a nastygram.

I did not get offended in anyway. I know how to spell, Beetle or Beatle are both correct spellings, just picked the wrong one for the sentence. Which I believe is grammar.
GRAM-MAR: 1. The whole system and structure of a language or of languages in general, usually taken as consisting of syntax and morphology (including inflections) and sometimes also phonology and semantics.
No worries,

See! The darned thing made it all the way from Asia and now they are worried about it getting to my county! Ha Ha

Status
Not open for further replies.