Another genny question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
W

WellSeasoned

Those of you with portable generators..... I plan on building a little "generator house" that will be open for intake and exhaust to keep it out if the weather and to quiet it down a bit as well as chaining it down to the concrete pad. I currently have a 15' 30 amp power cord that came with the genny..... Any of you purchase a longer cord, maybe 30 to 50 ft worth of cord? I want to get this thing down on the property a bit. Any power loss with longer extension cord? Any other tips will be helpful, thx alot!

Yes there is some power loss as the cable gets longer. Also, be careful about enclosing your genny too much if it is air cooled. You need the air circulation to keep things cool enough.

Yes, the longer the run the more loss there is. As you get farther away, you will have to up-size the conductors. There are lots of voltage drop calculators. You generally don't want more than 5% voltage drop. Just Google voltage drop calculator.

Extension cord gets pricey as the length goes up, especially heavier cords like you'd need for a generator feed. Maybe run a permanent line out to where the genny will be installed and a short flexible cord to connect the genset to the hardline.

Status
Not open for further replies.