Another Harman P68 burn pot?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PinMd

Sep 9, 2010
Middletown, Md.
I've had my P68 for a couple months now. Already burnt through my first ton of pellets. My first ton was Americian Wood Fibers, I was not real impressed. I'm burning Hamer's now, from the Elkins plant. It took me about a half ton of pellets before I realized I might need to do a little more to the stove other then dump pellets in it every once and a while. I was going through 4 to 5 bags a day while it was still 50 outside. I had not scraped the burn pot at all, let alone cleaned the rest of the stove. I finally read the manual, and read all the sticky threads at the top of this section. The first thing I found was the door was loose. Adjusted the latch and took care of that. Next I gave the stove a good cleaning. The burn pot had stuff a 1/4" thick caked to it. Once I got it clean and adjustd the door, things got better. When I finished up the Amer Wood Fib ton, I gave it another total cleaning. I noticed a differnce right away with the Hamer's. The stove seems to throw a lot more heat, and dosn't eat pellets as bad as it use to.

The only issue I'm having now is the burn pot gets a glaze of creosote in the bottom and the sides in no time between scrapings. I can tell by the temp in the basement {where the stove is} when the pot needs scraped. Just seems like the stove won't throw nearly as much heat when its glazed up. Is this normal operation? I've also noticed the ash build up issue discussed in the other thread. If I knock them out of the way, it burns better. Also, I've adjusted the voltag to the intake fan from lowest to highest and cannot see any differnce.

My install is as follows. 24" of 4" stove pipe with w 90 degree elbow going into 26' of SS flex liner. No OAK yet but the house is not tight and fresh air is not a issue. The flapper is not restricted.

Photo is after a good scraping.

Attachments

• stove.jpg
    stove.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 504
Looks normal to me. Just keep up the the maintenance and clean the heat exchangers and the heat will double! Especially after a ton of pellets...

Status
Not open for further replies.