Another load of oak logs dropped off.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ohlongarm

Minister of Fire
Mar 18, 2011
Northeastern Ohio
At my friends construction yard in Ohio,we're ten years ahead when it all gets split,and all can be stored out of the weather. trade asphalt
lo.jpg
grindings for loads of anything we want.The driver a great guy gets a couple bottles of 1800 tequila.

That's awesome. OTOH, if I had my druthers, I'd rather have smaller DBH logs than that but I work alone usually and the biguns are difficult to handle.

That's awesome. OTOH, if I had my druthers, I'd rather have smaller DBH logs than that but I work alone usually and the biguns are difficult to handle.
we're going to bust them up with the excavator into manageable pieces,that's for sure.

Good God look at those giant oak trunks! That even intimadates me but I bet I could cut 'em with the Stihl and bust 'em with the Fiskars.
Damn that would be a lot of work by hand.

What a stash of firewood!

Reactions: EPS
I have been scrounging wood all spring and there were a couple of listings for logs listed on craiglist, so I decided to contact the seller to find out how much wood I would be getting and whether they would deliver it to my rural area way back in the country. The first seller answered my text a couple of days later and said they would get back to me on whether they would deliver to me (I offered extra $ for the delivery), but never contacted me back. Several weeks later, another listing in a different area listed logs and I contacted them and got a response a few hours later. I gave them my address and they said they would deliver for about $50 higher and if it wasn't to bad, would do it cheaper the second load. I inquired about how much wood I would be getting as he listed it as a 8 ton dump truck. He said it should be 3 1/2 - 3.75 cords of wood. I debated it a bit thinking whether it was worth $325. The next day, the guy texted me back saying if I was value conscious and had a wood splitter, the blocky pieces are the way to go and he could deliver a load for $150. I took a chance on it and got a load and boy what a surprise I got! It was a huge load of wood, he guessed probably closer to 10 tons. I would be surprised if it turns out being less than 4 cords after processing. It is at least 80% oak and no pine or soft woods. I am going to be working it up starting this weekend.
1594298856749.jpg

Drool ( There used to be a icon for that) that is a great load. At a good price delivered.

Thanks! Even the free wood comes at a price when you factor in gas to go pick it up. I also like the fact that I can do the processing at my own pace when time allows and not worry about a certain time. Right now with the weather being so hot, I can chip away at it whenever I want and pick early in the morning, late in the day when it cools down.

Good God! You got that load of oak delivered for $150. You ought to be arrested for highway robbery.
I don't have a splitter but I could still have my way with most of that load.
I have been scrounging "free" firewood from craigslist. And it is never free. I need to get in touch with a tree surgeon company.

Reactions: EPS
Yes, I was quite surprised myself when he came back with $150 delivered. With that said, the $325 load would have been much easier to process and I doubt I would have near as many double branch pieces and oversized ones. If I didn't have a splitter, I would not have bought this load, I would have paid the $325. This wood came from a cut about 34 miles from my place and they are obviously making their $ from the lumber, not the firewood. I have a Stihl MS 250 saw with an 18" blade and did not look forward to cutting the 30"+ size logs. My neighbor stopped by to chat and said what a nice looking load of wood it was. As we discussed it, he mentioned having a Stihl 440 saw with a 20 & 24" bar and spare chains that "needed to be run some" and he offered to let me borrow it. I can't wait to work up this load now with a saw that can handle this size wood.

Good God! You got that load of oak delivered for $150. You ought to be arrested for highway robbery.
I don't have a splitter but I could still have my way with most of that load.
I have been scrounging "free" firewood from craigslist. And it is never free. I need to get in touch with a tree surgeon company.
I get flagged on my job at least monthly by tree cutters wanting to get rid of trees they cut,they made their money,are not in firewood sales,and dumps are expensive. That's how I just got six tons of locust.