Another new install!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 1, 2012
Saco, Me
Timber Ridge 55-TRPEP aka Englander 25EP.

I started with the brick hearth. The previous owners had a freestanding propane stove on glass over the rug. My next step was to make the flue clean out bigger so I could fit the Selkirk 4VP-TD (double clean out) which will allow me to clean out the short horizontal run.

I then had to match up the Selkirk vent to the existing hole in the masonry, run a short horizontal run into the chimney, and then fit 23 feet of rigid Selkirk piping down the chimney which proved a bit challenging.

It heats great - we'll see how it is when the outside temperature is below freezing. This is a finished basement install, the only thing I don't like is the OAK but that is my only option unless I bore another hole into the second flue and use that as an OAK.

IMG_0495.JPG IMG_0508.JPGIMG_0507.JPGIMG_0509.JPGIMG_0524.JPG

Beautiful install.

That Flame Looks HUGE! Is that at start up? With abundant fuel in the pot?

Beautiful install.

That Flame Looks HUGE! Is that at start up? With abundant fuel in the pot?

Yes that was on startup. It heats the finished 900sqft down stairs no problem and I have a fan to get some heat upstairs as well. This weekend I need to get two tons of pellets...

Very nice set up, enjoy

I agree w/ you about the placement of the OAK, but other than that, it looks great! Enjoy the heat!!

I fixed it,....

Attachments

• oak.JPG
    oak.JPG
    86.6 KB · Views: 172
I agree w/ you about the placement of the OAK, but other than that, it looks great! Enjoy the heat!!

This was the first reason why I looked at Selkirk DT. My stove is installed in a room that has about 3' of concrete block along the exterior walls. (Used to be a garage) And I didn't want to see the OAK.

Reactions: smoke show
Gonna be brutally honest. Looks good, except the oak. But thats just my opinion.

Well given a choice of being able to use the new heated space or having it cold or even worse heating it with "dino juice" I'd be happy to have that OAK there and enjoy having the stove running (although it might interfere with hibernation if you are a bear).

Thanks everyone, I may eventually put a wood stove in place of it and move the pellet stove upstairs and tap into the second flue, or maybe I should save for a pellet boiler! I went to a local hardware store to purchase some rigid pipe for the OAK but the guage was too small according to the requirements in the manual. I faxed a local metal shop to see if they could customize some pipe for me but I haven't heard back. For now I am going to enjoy the heat.

Has anyone installed a floor register? I've got two fans to push the heat air out of that room, but I figure that would help move some of the air upstairs as well. I seem to think there may be code issues, or maybe I made that up in my head.

I went to automotive supply and got what I needed, exaust tubing. Even got nice connection bells put on for nice tight fits that didn't need clamps.

Be very careful on things like floor registers between floors they may not be allowed by code and if they are they may have to be thermally activated self closing ones.

If I decide on registers after researching code and what not, how would I build a cold air return? To be quite honest, perhaps I should move the install upstairs, or add a second wood pellet stove. I really don't want to use a drop of oil to heat the house other than hot water or during power outages.

Maybe I could try crack a window open in the same room as the stove as the cold air retun for now?

Also, do you think I could use the second flue (to the right of the vent looking at the stove) as the oak - terminating the oak in the second flue which is not used

The OAK is necessary for that stove. Although it doesn't look pretty the way you have it, it is functional.

As for the.other flue. If it is completely sealed off from other appliances, then I would think its possible to do.

Also. Putting the heat where you NEED it most ((where you spend your time amd need warm air))!! Basement installs arr tricky.

you can't use PVC pipe for an OAK. ;em It has to be heat resistant. It looks like PVC,anyway. Maybe not.

I THINK he just used Windows Paint program or PChop and "adjusted" it. Does look like PVC on my phone.

Once/if you get a different pipe for your OAK, you can try painting it the same color as the wall. Come out of the stove horizontally then vertically up along side the brick to the pass through.

maybe could of moved it closer to the brick ran it up right along side and make a fake brick cap to cover it ? does look great

opps thats what shaw did in his drawing lol

Unfortunately the brick on the inside does not match up with the outside. If I drill just to the right of the brick then I will hit the brick chimney on the outside.

It does look nice. I like all the glass that those style stoves have. Tweaking that OAK is easy. IMO, it's the fact you used flex pipe that's throwing it off a bit. Just need to square up the lines a bit. Or just leave it and enjoy the heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.