another newbie question, keeping the door open of the insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

firewatcher

Nov 10, 2006
New Jersey
I notice that when i keep my door open to my insert, I get a huge amount of direct heat coming out. Could I leave the door open for a faster heating of the room? Or does this go back to the old chimney thing where now you are losing heat. Obviously, there is no smoke coming out and I am keeping an eye on it. Has anyone ever tried this? Does it work or is does it waste heat?

I suspect burning with the front door open will essentially turn your insert back into a fireplace...with the associated energy losses of a fireplace. The immediate room may get a bit warmer, but the huge volumes of air sucked in with the door open would likely cool the rest of the house more. Plus, I doubt you would get any type of secondary combustion with the door open, which is also less efficient use of the wood.

In short, you may get a slight extra bit of heat from the stove in that room, but overall efficiency and net heat output to the house would be less.

Corey

I will release the latch on my door (actually the latch is set up to still be latched but allows air flow past the gasket), it lets allot of air in when starting or restoking a fire. Then when things get going a bit, I close the latch all the way.

I would be a little concerned about an ember jumping out of there. KD

This is not a safe practice. Without a screen on that opening you are messing with fire, literally. I've had logs roll unexpectedly as they burn down. Embers can pop out with surprising force if a moisture pocket explodes.

I would suspect that your Osburn is designed to be burned with the door closed for proper air control and combustion. Running all the time with the door open can easily lead to over-firing and stack temps that could lead to a chimney fire.
I sometimes leave my Summit door open for a few minutes when I first light to get things going a little quicker, but then shut it tight soon after.

My Insert has a screen for fire viewing, since it dosen't have a glass door, it acts like a small fireplace, however, all heating benefits are then lost due to the draft actually pulling the heat and heated room air up the chimney, as stated , I do keep the door cracked at startup to get the fire going, once the flames are established, then I close the doors and adjust my spin knobs for desired burn. This is an older Insert designed for viewing the fire with the screen in place, and cannot be knocked off with a rolling split, that has had happened, without a screen, you are really placing yourself as stated in danger - of popping embers, rolling splits or rounds.

Status
Not open for further replies.