Another Newbie with questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Svfrogman

Dec 1, 2010
Kansas
Hello all first off love the site just spent 4 hours at work looking at all the info here (boss is out of town)
after that long of a time and using the search option i still have a few questions about the operation of the pellet stoves so here we go..

1 i bought a US 6041tp from TS sunday and installed it the only thing i had to do odd is the outside vent is at a angle to get the required 4' from the opening window other than that it is a standard install.. so i have almost 5 feet up then 24" out then 4' up at about 45 with the kit end cap with the opening pointed down. good, bad, stupid?

2 at what temp should the air be on average i dont need the the standard sales answer. it seemed to me the air was not as hot as it shouldbe i could hold my hand a inch or 2 infront and keep it there.

3 what are some of the setting others use draft fan speed air baffle opening and such. stay with auto dummy or manual setting?? again this is just for a starting point i know my situation will be differnt form yours.

4 lastly i did let the stove run overnight but when my wife got up she said it was blowing cold ish air?? it was not as warm as before i went to bed the fire box was kinda full but still had a good flame. again this is ony my first night of running it i just need some of the guide lines so to speak that the manual can not offer. some of you my want to flame me but if i dont know i will ask.

i am a find it myself guy but like i said if i cant find it i will ask the dumb question.. im a IT guy that used to be a mechanic so working with my hands and doing it myself is a pride thing i guess.

thanks again in adv for the help!!

1. Could you post a picture of that vent and tell us exactly what it is comprised of including actual lengths of the various pieces.

2. The temperature will vary depending on the fuel, the firing rate, and the amount of air being moved (room blower setting).

3. I can't help you there as I don't have that stove.

4. Could you describe what you think is a good flame?

Better get on your asbestos undies I sense a flame trower nearby ;-).

BTW, Svfrogman, welcome to the forum.

here is a pic of the outside vent it is 2 36" sections with 2 90's

the stove worked great lastnight did some tweaking and found a good setting that made my house almost 70 on the upper level plus added a fan to blow the air upstairs. need to find a way to get more of the hot air upstairs without making holes in the floor and ceiling. but thats a new project all one its own. i am not having any venting problems so i will say it will work.

Attachments

• IMAG0091.jpg
    IMAG0091.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 262
I have a 6041 also but i have mine on a programable t-stat. The air that comes out the front of mine on #4 heat setting is around 180 degrees. What i did to help circulate the air was to put a thermostat on my furnace that has a fan timer that runs the fan every so often to help even out the temp in the house. I run mine in auto mode with the t-stat and it works good. I will say that is a different looking vent you have. Is there a cleanout at ground level?

If I've got the vents somewhat figured out starting at the back of the stove you have a T for an EVL of 5
5' of vertical for an EVL of 2.5
90 degree elbow for an EVL of 5
2' of horizontal for an EVL of 2
6' of mixed run for an estimated EVL of 2 + 3 or 5

or a grand total of 29.5

I sure hope that this is all 4", is it?

the cleanout T is off the back of the stove. the manual did say it can be done as long as the 3" adapter pipe was on first

SmokeyTheBear said:
If I've got the vents somewhat figured out starting at the back of the stove you have a T for an EVL of 5
5' of vertical for an EVL of 2.5
2' of horizontal for an EVL of 2
6' of mixed run for an estimated EVL of 2 + 3 or 5

or a grand total of 29.5

I sure hope that this is all 4", is it?

no it is 3" pipe thats all i could get at the local stores.

dragracer300 said:
Anything with that much run should be 4". 3" will Require more cleaning.

Yes and place the combustion blower under additional stress due to much higher temperatures, it will also cause a poor burn.

Status
Not open for further replies.