Another newbie with questions.....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GrahamInVa

Minister of Fire
Jun 14, 2011
Eastern, Virginia
Howdy guys... Great resource this forum has been.

I am installing a pellet stove this summer, probably the TimberRidge 55-TRPEP. You guys talk highly of England Stove Works are they are pretty much local to me, which is always nice. So far it looks like a dealer on eBay has a good price. Thoughts on this stove and price?

I will be installing it up against an interior wall but it will only be about 3' from an exterior wall where the pipe will run. My question is, do I really need a 3' rise? The pipe will exit on the front of my house and it will look kind of funny if it sticks way up. It will also look a little funny with a rise inside the house? I understand that if the power goes out we will get some smoke inside. I do have a 17kw generator with a automatic transfer switch but it takes about 30 sec. to start. I'm okay will a little smoke if I can get away without that 3' rise. Thoughts??

There is a pellet mill about 30 mins from me that will sell direct for $200/ton. Seems like a good deal after reading what some of you guys up north are paying. http://www.omalleywoodpellets.com/

Thanks in advance for the help.. I'm sure I will have more questions once I get moving on the project. I am excited about it for next winter. We spent a fortune in propane!!

Oh, and not sure if any of you guys have a pellet grill but they are awesome. It's impossible to burn anything and it tastes so much better. I have a Treager Li'l Tex Elite. http://www.traegergrills.com/

The newer Pellet stoves from Englander are really nice. They got away from there 2 auger "Bottom Feed" design and finally got with the Top Feeder Program. (Nothing against Bottom Feeder's, Look in my Sig, I own one and so does my Father) The new Evolution stove you got and the 10-CPM are great stoves, from what I have heard and read. I cuurently am looking into getting a 10-CPM to replace my Quadrafire.

A rise inside doesnt look to bad. If you paint the pipe black, or buy it black, it can look pretty good. There are some members that have unusual angles and rises on there stoves inside there homes and they look great. The only pic I have is of the Old Englander in my Shop. It has a 5ft rise with a Clean-out T inside. I dont think it looks to bad.. The walls need painted and the whole place could be cleaned. But the pipe and stove look good.

Also, the $200 for a ton of pellets.. What brand are they? I have 2 diiferent brands of Lignetics. Both burn pretty good for me. Plus they were cheap. Got the 5 tons of Presto's for $177/ton, 2 tons of Green labels for about $200/ton and the 2 ton of Easy Heats, well they were cheap too. Thats the only reason I have 9 ton going into this next season. Never seen them so cheap in the 3 years I have been burning.

Attachments

• Ye Old Englander.jpg
    Ye Old Englander.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 577
Welcome to the forum, and congrats on your new stove!
I have a direct vent, about 3' pipe that goes straight out through the wall, then has a weather cap on the end. That's it. We've had one power failure since, and we got very little smoke in the house. My stove does not have an air wash, so it's pretty airtight, so little smoke got in. There was no visible smoke, and the new smoke detector (about 10 horizontal feet away on the ceiling) did not go off. There was just a moderate smoke smell. I do have an Outside Air Kit, which probably helped. Your situation may differ. I was told by the installer that the 3' rise recommended by the manufacturer wouldn't help much, but he may just have been making his job easier. But, from my limited experience, if you don't have an air wash on your door, you should get little smoke in the house. I'm sure others will chime in with their experiences.
Happy burning!

DexterDay said:
The newer Pellet stoves from Englander are really nice. They got away from there 2 auger "Bottom Feed" design and finally got with the Top Feeder Program. (Nothing against Bottom Feeder's, Look in my Sig, I own one and so does my Father) The new Evolution stove you got and the 10-CPM are great stoves, from what I have heard and read. I cuurently am looking into getting a 10-CPM to replace my Quadrafire.

A rise inside doesnt look to bad. If you paint the pipe black, or buy it black, it can look pretty good. There are some members that have unusual angles and rises on there stoves inside there homes and they look great. The only pic I have is of the Old Englander in my Shop. It has a 5ft rise with a Clean-out T inside. I dont think it looks to bad.. The walls need painted and the whole place could be cleaned. But the pipe and stove look good.

Also, the $200 for a ton of pellets.. What brand are they? I have 2 diiferent brands of Lignetics. Both burn pretty good for me. Plus they were cheap. Got the 5 tons of Presto's for $177/ton, 2 tons of Green labels for about $200/ton and the 2 ton of Easy Heats, well they were cheap too. Thats the only reason I have 9 ton going into this next season. Never seen them so cheap in the 3 years I have been burning.

Thanks for the incite. The pellets I found for $200/ton are O'Malley. http://www.omalleywoodpellets.com/

If I were to heat my home exclusively with pellets, how much you think I would need for the winter? My house is 2400 sq. ft, two story, and the stove is going downstairs. Remember I am in Eastern VA were it really doesn't get too cold and not much snow. Avg. high temp is Jan. is 41 or so.

4 tons is a Good Average. I used 4 tons (plus or minus 1/2 ton) the last 3 years. Heating a 2,180 sq ft Ranch. Using pellets only. No LP. Just the Quadrafire also. Just got the Woodstove and the Fahrenhiet Furnace at the end of this Season. Always better to buy more than what you will need. Congrats. Keep us updated. Nice stove you bought.

PM Forum Member imacman , he bought his refurb Englander 10-CPM from them.

Hello Imacman

Here is your sister stove 49-TRCPM for $1,050 -- TimberRidge Multi Fuel burning stove- S# 2271 -- FREE Shipping!!
Is that a steal??
http://cgi.ebay.com/TimberRidge-Mul...244?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a673426e4

From http://www.iBuyPelletStoves.com in Orange County, NY List $3098.00 Sale Price $2649.95 !!!!! - That is a little steep!!

http://www.ibuypelletstoves.com/pro...included-49-TRCPM-at-iBuyPelletStovescom.html

Item specifics from AMFM stoves on eBay
Condition:
Manufacturer refurbished: An item that has been professionally restored to working order by a manufacturer or ... Read moreabout the condition
Brand: England Stove Works
Power Source: Electric Type: reconditioned
HVAC Product Type: Multi fuel (corn, pellets, & more)

PictureHeats approximately 2,200 sq. ft.*
Pictureapprox 50-60 lb. hopper.
PictureUser-friendly control panel is pre-programmed for different fuels.
PictureE.P.A. Certified. (certified as pellet-burning unit that can also burn corn & cherry pits)
PictureLarge, convenient ash drawer.
PictureElegant cast iron door with straight lift door latch & Extra-large viewing glass.

PictureRealistic brick fiberboard in firebox..

PicturePellet stove that also burns corn, cherry pits and more.

PictureUnique auto-start ignites the toughest fuels, including corn.

PictureWith an optional thermostat, the unit will turn off and on (relight as needed).

Attachments

• Englander49-TRCPM.jpg
    Englander49-TRCPM.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 463
Don2222 said:
Here is your sister stove 49-TRCPM for $1,050 -- TimberRidge Multi Fuel burning stove- S# 2271 -- FREE Shipping!!
Is that a steal?? ....

VERY good deal!!

Don2222 said:
Hello Imacman

Here is your sister stove 49-TR for $1,050 -- TimberRidge Multi Fuel burning stove- S# 2271 -- FREE Shipping!!
http://cgi.ebay.com/TimberRidge-Mul...244?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a673426e4

Is that a steal??

From http://www.iBuyPelletStoves.com List $3098.00 Reg Price $2649.95
http://www.ibuypelletstoves.com/pro...er-included-49-TR-at-iBuyPelletStovescom.html

Item specifics
Condition:
Manufacturer refurbished: An item that has been professionally restored to working order by a manufacturer or ... Read moreabout the condition
Brand: England Stove Works
Power Source: Electric Type: reconditioned
HVAC Product Type: Multi fuel (corn, pellets, & more)

PictureHeats approximately 2,200 sq. ft.*
Pictureapprox 50-60 lb. hopper.
PictureUser-friendly control panel is pre-programmed for different fuels.
PictureE.P.A. Certified. (certified as pellet-burning unit that can also burn corn & cherry pits)
PictureLarge, convenient ash drawer.
PictureElegant cast iron door with straight lift door latch & Extra-large viewing glass.

PictureRealistic brick fiberboard in firebox..

PicturePellet stove that also burns corn, cherry pits and more.

PictureUnique auto-start ignites the toughest fuels, including corn.

PictureWith an optional thermostat, the unit will turn off and on (relight as needed).

This is one I have been looking at online. http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/mat/2441516466.html
Think I might send them an email and ask them, whats your "Bottom Line" tonight or tomorrow. The "Timbers Ridge" Model or "Summers Heat" models are ALL the SAME. My Englander 30-NC is Actually a Timber Ridge 50-TNC30. They are all the same stoves. Just sold under different names for different companies. I call my stove an Englander, because it was made by them and more people recognize that model. For all we know, imacman's 10-CPM could be a 49-TR or a 49-SHCPM and he just puts 10-CPM for clarification. Great stove the 10-CPM and the 25-EP that the OP was looking into.

If I could get $1,800 out of my Quadrafire (I know, pretty high price, but its been WELL taken care of and I have new parts on the shelf), Then I would get an Englander (10-CPM) TOMORROW!!!!! I am looking forward to this coming winter with my other new toys (30-NC and my Fahrenheit), but if I could sell the Quad this Summer/Fall and get a CPM, I would sell/trade the Fahrenheit Furnace too... Don't need 3 stoves (4 counting the Fireplace) in this house. Insurance agent is not a Fan of that. The Giant New Woodstove in the basement should take care of most of the needs and make my pellet stash last twice as long. We shall see how it pans out.

Good luck to the OP. The 10-CPM is a Stove for the future. If pellets get too expensive, then you could burn Grass pellets, Cardboard, Corn, Pits, Seeds, Etc.. The 25-EP is nice and I will not steer you away, but to know you have the option to burn anything... Is very nice. I do love the Bay Window style stoves myself. Do a search on my Quadrafire CB 1200 and you will see its a Bay Window Style like the Evolution. But with the side panels of the 10-CPM, its kinda like a 3 sided stove (Just no windows on the sides), looks a liitle fancy. At least I think so. Good Luck again, I hope to see many pics of your up and coming Beast.

Hi Dexter

Nice Stove, you should get it!!

The last few years I went crazy on getting efficient heaters

So here are the results with my pet names!!

Attachments

• TRHheaters.jpg
    TRHheaters.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 455
Status
Not open for further replies.