another nice score

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CowboyAndy

Feb 29, 2008
Chateaugay, NY
So last fall we had a branch from a maple fall onto our neighbors roof. that sparked the topic of whos property each of the 5 maples were on. It kinda got forgotten. then yesterday he knocks on the door and asks for me to go look at them with him. then he tells me that the 2 farthest back have to come down. i fully expected for him to tell me that they are on my side and when an i going to get them down (they lean towards his house). BUT, much to my surprise, he says he has a tree service coming monday and do i want the wood! hell yeah i do! he asked if they could leave it in large logs (it would save him money) and if they could use our yard to gain access to it. This sugar maple is about 3ft at the base, 6ft it splits into 2 20-ish inch sides. 80' tall. and it will be felled about 10' from my woodpile!

how much am i looking at with that 1 tree?

Andy, make sure your ground is solid first. Otherwise, good score!

On the other hand, I might be worried if he thinks that part of your property is his instead. Bears watching.

no, apparently he had someone examine the deeds to determine where exactly the property line is. and it is where we assumed it was, which that tree is on his side completely.... no doubt about it.

People can get really funny when it comes to property lines. Having a guy examine the deed is a baby step. Having a formal survey done is the only way to firmly establish property lines in my opinion. If you take two guys and let them examine a set of deeds you will likely get two varying opinions on where the property line actually is...without an actual survey with markers its just guesswork (recently went through this when an inheritor to an estate tried to take 1/2 acre out of my back yard and close to 10 acres from my nextdoor neighbor. Alot of our property lines and deeds referred to notable marks like a dry river wash that was marked out in the mid 1700's.

You should talk to your neighbor and make sure you understand the full results of the deed examination and make sure that you're not looking at him thinking he owns 10 feet into your property...like where your woodpile is for example.

Probably nothing to it, but everyone needs to know their boundaries with their neighbors in full. Too easy for people to get really weird, really fast. Shocking how often something along these lines end up involving lawyers and the courts.

Now I'll get off my soapbox and say good score! Sonds liek you're looking a couple of free cords.

I think you bring up some great points, but I really think its a matter of he really doesnt want this tree to fall on his house. he told me point blank that he is paying for it, and my wife was there as a witness, so im not worried about that. the area where it is (and that whole property line) is pretty much useless space so i doubt there will ever be an issue with the line. we are outta there in 3 years, so whoever buys worries about it!

CowboyAndy,

Back to your original question. I guess between 2-2 1/2 cords for the one tree. I am no expert but a fairly good guesser :)

Sweet deal!!

I'd guess about 2 maybe a bit more if it's got some big branches.

Okay, heres the tree. its kind of far away, in order to get the whole thing in.

the 2nd tree to the right of it is about 18-19", to give a size reference.

1240511094.jpg

well, heres the outcome:
first half
1241561817.jpg

second half
IMG00109.jpg

i didnt cut it, a tree service did. this is to show the size of the trunk. thats a 20" bar on the saw.
IMG00107.jpg

Do you have to hang upside down when you use the saw with the bar installed upside down? Just curious.

Pretty tough to flip the bar occasionally to even out the wear on it without the stencilling being upside down half the time. Rick

I flip my bar every time I put on a freshly sharpened chain. I am guessing 1 1/2 cords of wood. Nice score so close to your wood pile. It doesn't get much better than that.

Cowboy Andy - nice score and nice saw :) Is that a husky 455 rancher? (I can't quite make out the markings - maybe my bad eyesight)

Seeing the stump was done by a professional tree service outfit makes me feel better about my cuts - they're often slightly off as well!

JDinspector, why do you think the bar is upside down? Looks right way up to me from Down Under, it's the saw and everything else that's upside down . . . :)

jdinspector said:
Do you have to hang upside down when you use the saw with the bar installed upside down? Just curious.

I just stand on my head and its all good.

joshlaugh said:
I flip my bar every time I put on a freshly sharpened chain. I am guessing 1 1/2 cords of wood. Nice score so close to your wood pile. It doesn't get much better than that.
Thats when I flip, when changing or sharpening. it is nice that its right there at my wood pile, but unfortunatly it has to go on the otherside! oh well, it will give the kids something to do for a few hours.

Apprentice_GM said:
Cowboy Andy - nice score and nice saw :) Is that a husky 455 rancher? (I can't quite make out the markings - maybe my bad eyesight)

Seeing the stump was done by a professional tree service outfit makes me feel better about my cuts - they're often slightly off as well!

JDinspector, why do you think the bar is upside down? Looks right way up to me from Down Under, it's the saw and everything else that's upside down . . . :)

ya, its a 455 rancher. just got it a few weeks ago and love it. great saw for the money. Cut up that maple no problem. most of the rounds I cut were 20" and she did just fine. a bit of a gas hog though.

When I fell a tree that is smaller than the bar I am using, I can get it pretty clean. but when its bigger than ya mine always look like that too.

CowboyAndy,

I have the 455 Rancher also and it has never given me any problems.
I am not sure it is a gas hog, I think the tank is too small to keep the weight of the saw down.

Well, got it all cut and split, and I think the final number is going to be a bit shy from what was origionally guessed. I used my trailer to move it to the otherside of the wood pile,. took 4 1/2 trailer loads, trailer holds 1/2 cord stacked. this was just thrown in. So Im gonna say 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 cord. still a nice score for minimal work. took me about 2 hours to buck it all, then about 3 hours to get it all split.

I was suprised at how easy the bigger rounds were to split... it was just a matter of getting them on the splitter! I need a vertical
splitter...

Status
Not open for further replies.