Another PaPa Bear

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Todd_C

Dec 15, 2013
littlebyteservices.com
The wife say's I have an obsession. I tend to think it's a hobby. I ran into this one last week and decided it would be great for my daughter. It needs to be restored just like Grandma Bear I got for my other daughter. See attached pic of the Grandma Bear. Before and after pics. . I personally don't think having 5 stoves 7 if you count the ones for my daughters as having to many Fisher stoves. I do not need an intervention, Any thoughts on this? The one on the trailer blew a hole threw the deck . O'h well it isn't the first one to do that. So it isn't a broken of short leg.

0613211338.jpg 0613211338a.jpg Grandma 76 2.jpg 1212201423a.jpg

Reactions: PA Mountain Man
The wife say's I have an obsession. I tend to think it's a hobby. I ran into this one last week and decided it would be great for my daughter. It needs to be restored just like Grandma Bear I got for my other daughter. See attached pic of the Grandma Bear. Before and after pics. . I personally don't think having 5 stoves 7 if you count the ones for my daughters as having to many Fisher stoves. I do not need an intervention, Any thoughts on this? The one on the trailer blew a hole threw the deck . O'h well it isn't the first one to do that. So it isn't a broken of short leg.

View attachment 279531 View attachment 279532 View attachment 279534 View attachment 279535
Maybe next you should try a modern stove and see what all the fuss is about lol.

Just giving you a hard time they are good old stoves

Reactions: PA Mountain Man
I love my new stove, and I wouldn't go back... but I will say it is hard to beat the heat the old ones throw. Maybe you use a bit more wood, but when you don't attach heat shields to all but 2 sides of the stove the large radiant surface area makes a heck of a difference. Bob complained about that in his book, and I feel the same. Wood stoves are supposed to heat.

I think the old ones have their place. I still use a Quaker in the log cabin where we stay only a handful of nights per heating season. That works great there, but we aren't burning 8 months of the year there making creosote every day. It's more like, get there and have a rip roaring fire for a few hours to get the place heated up.

If I had the room, I'd still have a Mama Bear. If it was a top exit rather than rear, it would be in the cabin instead of the Quaker. I kept the bear paws, and let the stove go. Todd, I hope you are able to continue with your obsession for a long time. I am glad people still value the old Fisher stoves.