another proverbial which stove is right for me. . .

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

adranus

Aug 29, 2011
AZ
Ladies and Gents,

Take it easy on me, I'm a newbie :)
I have a 3,000 square ft ground floor with a spot close to the middle of it plumbed for a wood stove. The rough framing for the hearth is in place. I need a stove. I've been eye-balling the QuadraFire 5700.
My ceilings are at 10 ft. The exterior walls are stucco on 2x6 framing with sprayed-in foam insulation. I'm in southern Arizona, so the temps don't get crazy low, but it does get cold.
I'm surrounded by 10 acres of mesquite. I can't think of anything I enjoy more than cutting wood (well, maybe one thing. . .). I walk around in my mesquites and stumble across piles of wood that I cut, stacked, and forgot about!! So I have plenty of firewood.
Anyway, to the question, what are your thoughts on the 5700 for that size of a house (there's also a finished attic that some of the heat will escape to)? What would be some good alternatives?

Thanks!

Also. . .my attic trusses are on 1 ft centers, so the clear distance between them is about 10.5 inches. Does that mean I'm hosed as far as a stove with an 8" outlet? Because isn't chimney pipe double wall? So an 8" chimney pipe will actually be about 12" in outside diameter, which means I'm toast. . .

adranus said:
Ladies and Gents,

Take it easy on me, I'm a newbie :)
I have a 3,000 square ft ground floor with a spot close to the middle of it plumbed for a wood stove. The rough framing for the hearth is in place. I need a stove. I've been eye-balling the QuadraFire 5700.
My ceilings are at 10 ft. The exterior walls are stucco on 2x6 framing with sprayed-in foam insulation. I'm in southern Arizona, so the temps don't get crazy low, but it does get cold.
I'm surrounded by 10 acres of mesquite. I can't think of anything I enjoy more than cutting wood (well, maybe one thing. . .). I walk around in my mesquites and stumble across piles of wood that I cut, stacked, and forgot about!! So I have plenty of firewood.
Anyway, to the question, what are your thoughts on the 5700 for that size of a house (there's also a finished attic that some of the heat will escape to)? What would be some good alternatives?

Thanks!

Lived in AZ for five years. That's a tough one. Your burn season is really short in comparison to nearly everyone else. The 5700 should be plenty since you will not have the prolonged cold build up. Are you in the elevated area near/around Tucson?

I'm east of Tucson, right at 3,000 feet. If I can make it work, here's a graph of the highs, lows & averages in my parts. . . Some of you are going to get a good laugh from this no doubt, and tell me I need to find an AC forum to hang out in!!

Attachments

• temps.jpg
    temps.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 263
Are you sure that wood is dry? ;-)

When night time temps get down in the 40s, it's stove time here. You don't see that often, I'd guess.

I'm not a construction guy, but I'd imagine there's a way to header (wrong term, no doubt) the trusses off to transfer the load, if you need to get an 8" pipe through...

I looked at the stove specs for the QuadraFire 5700 and it appears to be a secondary burn stove.. In a moderate climate you may be better off with a cat stove which tend to be more controllable for long slow burns.. I am thinking that a Woodstock soapstone would be a good fit in that application.. That's a big area to heat so their new stove might be the ticket plus you have secondaries for ambiance too.. Right now they are offering that stove for the introductory price of $2400.00 plus shipping.. Everyone here that has a Woodstock loves them and their customer support is top rated..

Ray

raybonz said:
I looked at the stove specs for the QuadraFire 5700 and it appears to be a secondary burn stove.. In a moderate climate you may be better off with a cat stove which tend to be more controllable for long slow burns.. I am thinking that a Woodstock soapstone would be a good fit in that application.. That's a big area to heat so their new stove might be the ticket plus you have secondaries for ambiance too.. Right now they are offering that stove for the introductory price of $2400.00 plus shipping.. Everyone here that has a Woodstock loves them and their customer support is top rated..

Ray

Yeah, but the shipping on that to southern AZ might be a bit painful. Woodstock mentioned that the rates for shipping to California were a bit much. Southern AZ is about the same distance.

I think any decent size stove would work in this case as he is not dealing with prolong cold temperatures and it would be rare to burn 24/7. With day time temps above 40 and sunny (not the gray cloudy winters most of us are used to) I would just go with a simple secondary burn stove.

BrowningBAR said:
raybonz said:

Ray

Yeah, but the shipping on that to southern AZ might be a bit painful. Woodstock mentioned that the rates for shipping to California were a bit much. Southern AZ is about the same distance.

I think any decent size stove would work in this case as he is not dealing with prolong cold temperatures and it would be rare to burn 24/7. With day time temps above 40 and sunny (not the gray cloudy winters most of us are used to) I would just go with a simple secondary burn stove.

That's a good point I was thinking of the lower temps you can get out of cat stove over a long period of time.. I haven't lived in that climate and you have so you're probably correct..

Ray

raybonz said:
BrowningBAR said:
raybonz said:

Ray

That's a good point I was thinking of the lower temps you can get out of cat stove over a long period of time.. I haven't lived in that climate and you have so you're probably correct..

Ray

Eh, I'm no expert by any means. Just my opinion, which could be wrong.

It'd be worth seeing if you have a Blaze King dealer in the area. It would allow slow burns during the milder weather. The house sounds exceptionally well insulated so a Princess might actually work out well for your climate.

I show two dealers in your state:

Ace Hardware & Nursery
507 North Beeline Highway
Payson, AZ 85541
520-474-5238

Arizona Easy Living
4102 N Highway 87 Pine
Pine, AZ 85544
928-476-4629

BeGreen said:
It'd be worth seeing if you have a Blaze King dealer in the area. It would allow slow burns during the milder weather. The house sounds exceptionally well insulated so a Princess might actually work out well for your climate.

I show two dealers in your state:

Ace Hardware & Nursery
507 North Beeline Highway
Payson, AZ 85541
520-474-5238

Arizona Easy Living
4102 N Highway 87 Pine
Pine, AZ 85544
928-476-4629

+1 This was what I was thinking.. The long burns and low heat plus more heat if you need it sounds like the ticket..

Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.