Another reason to like LEDs - Bugs not attracted to them

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

semipro

Minister of Fire
Jan 12, 2009
SW Virginia
Why bugs don't like LED lights.http://tinyurl.com/78ecz4r
I'm going to invest in some LEDs for the fixtures outside our doors this weekend!

I like some bugs okay but get tired of them hanging around our doorways and have really have gotten to dislike brown marmorated stink bugs!

I was skeptical....but the article seemed sensible.

Jim at jebatty mentioned an outdoor solar powered led light in a past post. We got one at the time and have been using it continuously outside since. It doesn't seem to attract an unusual number of insects and it runs all night on the previous day charge. We brought it in during the last power outage for the wife to read by. Nice little device. Solar light and wood heat. Woot!

I have put all LED lights in my new house and noticed a big difference in the mosquitos.
I have an LED bulb in my porch light and see very few bugs flying around it at night.

Status
Not open for further replies.