Another score?- 029 Farmboss- $50

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gapman789

Nov 5, 2010
Ohio
Grabbed it this morning on my way to work.
Hasn't been ran in 4-5 yrs. The guy said it just quit and he never messed with it since.

Compression seems low when I did the 'hold the saw by the rope and let it dangle to see if it drops' trick. It was a slow progression downward, but it did drop.
Fuel filter is caked with saw dust. Looks like my 036 filter did when it scored a piston.

I haven't tried to start it or take anything apart. Compression test will be the lst thing I do.

BTW, do you guys have a hotline for chainsaw-addictions? I think I'm starting to see the signs.

25thy0o.jpg

fypuog.jpg

1et9ag.jpg

Nice score!!!!

Find out what is wrong and fix it.. Bad P&C turn it into a 039.. Don't forget to mod the muffler...

O and some call it cad (chainsaw addiction disease) But um I don't know cause I don't have a problem!!! Now leave me alone...... lol...

Nice score .where in Ohio are ya??

southbound said:
Nice score!!!!

Find out what is wrong and fix it.. Bad P&C turn it into a 039.. Don't forget to mod the muffler...

O and some call it cad (chainsaw addiction disease) But um I don't know cause I don't have a problem!!! Now leave me alone...... lol...
Right, you don't have a problem. (did the sarcasm come through? lol) I was just looking at your growing list the other day wondering how it got so long. That all seemed to happen just in the last year, or maybe I just wasn't paying attention!

southbound said:
Nice score!!!!

What is involved when turning a 029 to 039. Is it pretty easily done? I've passed on some cheap 029s because I already have one but if I could resurrect one as a 039 I might b interested.

Here we go: 029 Farmboss

145 compression - piston looks great
New Bosch plug - gapped at .02 in./.5 mm
New 93 gas with Stihl HP ultra
Clean as new air filter

Saw starts, sounds good, revs good, but wants to die at idle. Haven't tried to adjust the idle yet because.....the chain will barely move when engaged and throttled up. When I say barely, I mean BARELY as in just inching forward a cm at a time
The chain/sprocket will spin nice and smoothly by hand.

Clutch problem I assume? Tear down the clutch side and see what's up I guess.
Maybe a fried clutch is what kept the saw from running. The guy said he was using it about 4 yrs ago and it just died on him. Very dull chain. Lots of fine sawdust. The guy claimed he knew nothing about anything mechanical.

My dad picked up two 026s for $50 (not running) once-best decision he ever made-one for me, one for him. Nice score!

Since I've got this 036 that needs new p/c, will the clutch from the 036 fit the 029? It sure looks like it will. I need the needle bearing cage for 029 as well, which the 036 has if it's the same.
I can only research so much before it starts getting into my 'wrenchin' time.

edit: Looks like the bearing is the same per part number.
edt again: Looks like the 036/029 clutch is NOT interchangeable per part number.

That didn't take so long after all.

Well, upon further inspection of the clutch area today, I see that the case has been cracked. Apparently by an exploding chlutch.
Also, in the 2nd pic, a piece/corner of the crank pan was chipped off. Doesn't seem to be affecting anything.
Again, saw starts and runs good. P/C in great shape with 145 compression. Should I be looking at buying a used case or will the saw be ok as is?
I will only be cutting 2 chords a year at the most and this saw would only be seeing part time duty.

2134wah.jpg

2vlqljt.jpg

southbound said:
if there is no air leak I say run it for all it's worth!!!!
Should be good to run. That doesn't appear to be terminal damage.

You'd have thunk somebody would notice this when it happened. Exploding clutches happen, but they don't just give you a "saw just stopped working" story when they do.

southbound said:

Ok. I'll still shop for a parts saw with cases though.
I ordered the clutch, needle bearing and the big metal disc/dust cover thingy today. Should have mid-week.
Anxious to get it cutting.

Danno77 said:
southbound said:
Should be good to run. That doesn't appear to be terminal damage.

You'd have thunk somebody would notice this when it happened. Exploding clutches happen, but they don't just give you a "saw just stopped working" story when they do.

Yeah, he seemed like a decent enough guy though. I think the saw may have been kept at his in-laws where it was used last. Giving him the benefit of the doubt, I guess the saw could have been tampered with by his father-in-law without him knowing?
For $50, I can't get too bothered by it.

I usually recommend a rim-sprocket type clutch drum when replacing the clutch on any saw. Just FWIW.

southbound said:
while you are waiting mod the muffler...

I found this thread on a muffler mod. https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/50931/
The 'one hole' 1/2"-9/16" in the front of the muffler seems to be what I should do on the 029.
Who is this 'Madsen' guy or site that is referred to in that thread that has info and sound clips of tuning?

edit: Found the Madsen site. Good info. I tuned the 038 yesterday and I feel like I got it damn close to where it needs to be. Just a tad on the rich side.

That case crack scream for J-B Weld.

gapman789 said:
southbound said:
while you are waiting mod the muffler...

I found this thread on a muffler mod. https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/50931/
The 'one hole' 1/2"-9/16" in the front of the muffler seems to be what I should do on the 029.
Who is this 'Madsen' guy or site that is referred to in that thread that has info and sound clips of tuning?

edit: Found the Madsen site. Good info. I tuned the 038 yesterday and I feel like I got it damn close to where it needs to be. Just a tad on the rich side.

look here too... https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/69082/

Status
Not open for further replies.