another st croix issue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mach23

Dec 8, 2011
Upstate NY
This is my second year having my st croix prescott exl. Last year went well, i thought i had learned a lot but maybe not!.
The first part of this season everything went well. Recently i have been having major clinker buildups in the burn pot. I clean the stove roughly once a week sometimes more. i cleaned the stove saturday and 3/4 of the pot was a solid clinker. When i removed the ash pan to vacuum that it had a good cup of unburned pellets in there which has never happened.
I just turned the stove up on 5 to burn off some ash (i do this almost once daily) and noticed the pot is just so full the pellets are spilling out the side and into the ash pan.
I shut the stove down and pulled the pot out and once again solid clinker. Why is this happeneing now and never before? I am burning the same pellets as last year.... Whats up with it? Thanks

Two things.... have you THROUGHLY cleaned your stove including cleaning behind the fire box and thru the ash traps? have you used the "leaf blower trick"? If pellets are building up you have a dirty stove issue.... you need to do a COMPLETE cleaning after every ton...

I would check to make sure the versa-grate motor shaft coupler is tight where it meets the versa-grate mechanism. If the motor turns but the versa-grate does not it will build up a clinker... I had this crop up last year and again this year. You'll need to tighten up the set screw and use a little Lock-Tite, too.

Reactions: SmokeyTheBear
thank you for the input! i will check the set screw. I cleaned the stove throughly at the end of last season and went through it again before i started burning this fall just to make sure one last time. I havent burned a ton of pellets yet this year so i have been just doing regualr maitenance so far. Yes i do use the leaf blower trick as well. Like i said i vacuumed the stove saturday and already tonight i had a clinker the size of the pot. I will check that set screw tomorrow when the stove is cool. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.